My vaccume smells like a dog. What can i do to make it better?

I have a very expensive vaccume i should have never bought because filter and bags are expensive also. i reuse the bags a couple times, but i think it's the filter that is smelling. its ok untill the vacume gets warm. Do you think the dryer would help?

hippiemom04

Asked by hippiemom04 at 9:58 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I have to change the hepa filter often because we have 3 dogs and it will smell bad if I don't... Sorry, I know they are expensive, but it's so worth it when you do..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:01 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Can you wash the filter, or rinse it with vinegar water? My mom puts a dryer sheet in the bag of her vacuum, and it always smells nice when she uses it.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:02 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• How about putting a single dryer softner sheet like "Snuggle brand" in the bag before you vacuum? It will scent the air coming out.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:03 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• try putting a little bit of baking soda in the bag...the only real way to get rid of the smell is probably to replace the filter though...i had problems with mine and even had to replace the washable filters after a while.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 10:05 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• sounds like you've sucked up a dog. remove the dog from your vacuum.
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 11:10 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I agree with the other responses, either (i) remove the dog from the vacuum, (ii) try putting baking soda in the bag (or vacuum some up), or (iii) replace the filter. If none of these works, come back and we'll give you some more jokes.. I mean tips!
    mellonhead

Answer by mellonhead at 4:11 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• About every 6 months I have to replace all my filters and take a sponge and wipe down my vacuum and clean it up. And, of course, I always use a new bag. If all else fails, you can also try putting a sprinkle of "arm and hammer's carpet freshner" on your carpet and vacuum it up. It has a great sent and is safe for pets and kids too!
    KiraSaucedo

Answer by KiraSaucedo at 12:27 AM on Sep. 24, 2010