facebook and work

Do you think an employee should be let go for posting negative things on facebook about their job or company? Especially if they have customers as their friends on facebook?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• Allowed? They can technically do what they want.. But if the Employer finds out.. it could be cause for termination. I would think anyway.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:01 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• They can do whatever they want and I would think they would tell the person what they are saying on facebook if asked anyway however I would never write anything bad about my workplace because I'd be afraid it would get back to my employer and where I live it's "at will" so you can be fired for anything basically.
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 10:04 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• It has happened to a waitress in Florida. She needed the job too. But she posted a rant about a customer and someone snitched to the manager and she was let go. I feel so bad but you have to realize that no matter how private you make your fb profile big brother is always watching...........
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 10:05 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I think my company would fire me. Especially if my clients were my friends. That is very poor judgement.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:05 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• The last company I worked for said that if I were to talk about my company in a negative light, that I should put a disclaimer mentioning that they were my thoughts and not that of my company. Then again, my postings were things like "I can't wait to go home and get some sleep," etc.

But, if an employee is slandering the company all over the place and the customers are reading it, then I think it's bad for business and I would fire them, as well.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 10:37 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I believe in freedom of speech. At the same time, though, if you have customers or co-workers as your friends, you need to be careful what you say. It's OK to vent about your job, but doing it to the people who can get you in trouble with your boss is just downright stupid.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:57 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Yes, particularly if the companyhas a policy (and the employee was trained on it) for social media.

If I did that I would get fired because it is against company policy.
    science_spot

Answer by science_spot at 12:04 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• You bet.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 5:09 PM on Sep. 22, 2010