Planning a trip to Hawaii

My in laws are planning a trip for all their children and spouses to go to hawaii. Sounds great! But we are a pay check to pay check family and it's very hard for us to save money especially that kind of money even if we have a year to do it! They stress on us every time we see them that "we need to be saving money" but they have helped us multiple times with finances on stuff for our house so they know we are tight. what do we do?

CharleesMom7

Asked by CharleesMom7 at 10:03 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Travel

• Well you either find a way, cut back on something, or you don't go. It's expensive I know. I think your inlaws would do better to do an all inclusive trip. my inlaws took us all to Mexico for 7 days. The resort was georgous and was all inclusive
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:06 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• If you can't afford to go, you should decline their offer. I know that's hard to do - but really, if you can't save for it, just let them know that you can't go on the trip right now.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:07 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Be honest.. just say that you are having rough times right now.. and you will have to miss the trip unfortunately.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:07 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• do what you can
    and if you know you can not afford
    give yourselves a break and NOT go
    not worrying about the $ for yar will be like a vacation
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:08 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• What plans are they making -- are they renting one house for all of you and you only need to worry about air & food. What do you need to save for?

emerald53197

Answer by emerald53197 at 1:11 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I'd find out what the costs will be for your family to go. It would be a wonderful trip and might be worth saving up for.

If you cannot go, you really need to say something.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:06 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Tell them "No," unless they can fund your costs of the trip.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:41 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Are they offering to pay your way or just doing the planning?
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 2:59 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Im actually a member of a travel club and we get trips at wholesale prices...for example our next hawaii trip is about $379. An option for you could be checking out some of our member trips...but also members have access to luxury condos and villas...places that people pay to use as timeshares!! These are VERY inexpensive. You can stay in a really nice condo, that of course sleep more people, and pay one low price for the rental, not per person. I've seen villas/condos in hawaii for as low as $100 for a week! I use these to even make a little money...I pay the low price...maybe $200 for a condo for the week and invite my friends, but I can charge them whatever they can afford for their vacation. they dont mind if I make a little money and they had a fantastic vacation! Let me know if I can help.
    Mommiebiz824

Answer by Mommiebiz824 at 11:57 AM on Sep. 26, 2010