Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Have degree for elementary teaching, I am currently subbing for the fourth year.Teaching jobs are limited. Should I continue on the education path or find a different job?

Do need to pay back school loans?

Answer Question

Asked by aussielee at 10:14 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 3 (20 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • It is easy to get student loans deferred if you are underemployed. If there are no jobs in your field in your area, you should either consider moving or changing career paths. I know in many areas there is a shortage of qualified teachers.

    Answer by riotgrrl at 10:17 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

  • A lot of districts are needing teachers, some subs get paid $100 a day. Look into other districts.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 10:22 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

  • Maybe get your masters or PHD in post secondary ed. Your alreay in this why not go all out?

    Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:30 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

  • I would continue. A friend of mine from high school got her teaching degree. It took her a few years before she landed in the school district she wanted. She subbed one year, then she did some sort of tutoring one year, worked at a Catholic school the next and then finally in her fourth year after graduating go the job she wanted. She's still there and now has a masters degree.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 11:53 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

  • If you like teaching, continue it, but broaden the topics you can teach. Like add science or math or something special to your abilitites so you can apply for more jobs or be more valuable to your future employer. Good luck!

    Answer by science_spot at 12:03 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.