how long to cook steaks on the stove top?

I am making steaks tonight since dinner planes got changed the last minute yesterday lol. I put them in a bowl with salt, peper, steak seasoning and italian dressing I put them in the bowl around 11 they are still in there this morning at almost 11. I want to put them in a skillet and cook them that way if I do that I like mine well done, but DH likes his medium so if I cook them like that on low how long does it take to cook them?

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 10:14 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Food & Drink

• http://whatscookingamerica.net/Beef/CookingPerfectSteak.htm

I prefer pan searing in an iron skillet. Get your skillet really hot no matter what type so that you get a good sear. If you just cook them on low you're going to have a chewy, dry steak...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:25 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Depends.. How high the heat is.. how thick the steaks are.. I would just keep an eye on em.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:16 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I was just wondering if it would take a couple hours or what? They are thick, but not that thick and they are big steaks me and my 2 girls 5 and 2.5 can eat one together. The reason I was asking I kinda want to put them on now. But didn't know if they would be done way before 5
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 10:22 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• sear one side for 4 minutes, sear the other side for 2 minutes and put in a 425* oven until your preferred doneness via temp. 145* is probably med. and 170* is closer to well without burning/drying it out. Let them sit for a few minutes before you serve them to maintain the juices
    dstoutholcomb

Answer by dstoutholcomb at 10:25 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Well it depends on how you like it and the temp of the heat.... I cook it 4 mintues on each side on low heat with the lid on....
    PackersMamaof4

Answer by PackersMamaof4 at 10:52 AM on Sep. 22, 2010