How can I handle this?

Anyone have clues on how you get a kid to use their phone case when they carry their phone?! My 12 yo is always leaving it purposely at home and refuses to use it. She wants to carry it in her pocket always or her backpack, or put it in her locker at school (it's locked) but I'm afraid she will damage it, etc. Do you MAKE your kids use one. If she is playing soccer, kick ball, she could fall on it and break the 'EXPENSIVE' NOT A TOY WE TELL HER. I think we should just take it away till she does it but then of course we have no idea if SHE IS REALLY USING THE CASE anyway when we aren't w/her if she says she is anyway. What can I do???

cat4458

Asked by cat4458 at 10:18 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• To me it sounds like maybe it needs to be put away for a while until she understands the responsiblity of having an expensive object. But I know it's nice to be in the "know" with your kids and makes life easier to be able to call them and them call you when needed.
    CharleesMom7

Answer by CharleesMom7 at 10:20 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Tell her she uses the case or loses it. Unless she is going to pay to repair the phone when it gets ruined.

BUT may I add those cases do not protect against everything.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 10:21 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• well i wouldnt get my kid a cell phone that was more then 50 bucks i think i would go with a pay as you go phone because they arent that much. just tell her that if she breaks this one that that is what she is getting nothing pretty just something that she can get ahold of you with.i hate cell phones for one and im so glad that my son isnt old enough to use one i dont think i would ever get him one until he was like 16. but good luck.
    jacobmommy62106

Answer by jacobmommy62106 at 10:22 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Maybe none of the other kids have a case and she feels stupid using it. You could take her to the mall and get her one that she loves. I wouldn't make her use one. Surely she is not playing soccer with the phone in her pocket. She must know to keep the phone in her backpack or purse while she plays sports.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:25 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• My son and I never use one and our phone are fine. LOL Of course, our phone are cheap crappy phones too....
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:26 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• My DS has a phone and no case. We get him the free ones. I refuse to pay a lot for a cell especially for a kid. That's my opinion.
    horsesteelers

Answer by horsesteelers at 2:36 PM on Sep. 22, 2010