How can I convince my 2 year old that he is suppose to pee in the potty?

My 2 year old son seems ready to potty train He will tell us when he has wet his diaper He will sit on the potty but he will not pee in the potty He will have a fit to get up and put on a diaper or pull up and go in that Am I trying to make him go too soon? He will not go with his dad either. I didn't have this problem with my other kids. I am so confused I thought it was supposed to easier as you got older.

momoffrank

Asked by momoffrank at 10:20 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just drop it and wait a few months. You don't want it to turn into a battle.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:22 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Yep, too soon. Boys or at least most boys take until they are around 3. If he tells you he is wet this is a good sign...but this has to be his choice, if you make it a battle you will lose. If you let him know this makes you nuts, you will lose. Just introduce the potty, read books about potty and let him set the pace. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:23 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• he might still not be fully ready. make going to the potty a game with him in some way or tell him that big boys pee in the potty, not diapers. good luck :)
    americanadian25

Answer by americanadian25 at 10:23 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Give him a "treat" when he does and be consistent with the treats. M & M's worked like a charm at my house!
    ShelbysHope

Answer by ShelbysHope at 10:30 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Have Daddy take him potty. If he still doesn't want anything to do with it, stop and try again in a few months. Was he only showing one sign of wanting to use the potty or multiple? There are plenty of web pages out there that can tell you the tell-tale signs of children ready to potty train. If your child only exhibits one or two signs, then they're not ready.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 10:34 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• We did the M&M's too it worked wonder s for us my oldest was potty trained at 2 1/2 and my other at 19 months. You may want to hide the pull ups and only let him wear underwear during the day when you are at home so he will feel wet.
    AWebber212

Answer by AWebber212 at 10:39 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Best thing to do is have another child his age who's fully potty trained show him. If they go to the bathroom together and the other child pees in the potty, your son may catch on. It works, trust me. They learn faster from kids their own age then mommy and daddy.
    djevica

Answer by djevica at 10:45 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I'd wait a couple of months and try again. You could also keep trying to have him sit once a day. Just don't make a big deal out of it if he goes or not, just let him get use to sitting on it. We did that with our son and he eventually would sit a pee most times. (We would have him sit on the potty after dinner but before his bath. Since he was getting undressed anyway, it wasn't a big deal.) We then went on to potty training.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 2:00 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• My daughter will be 4 in January and she has only been potty trained about 2 months and she is 100% day trained and not night trained yet.
    Most kids don't potty train till closer to 3 or 4.
    The key is NOT to push!!!!!!!!! I pushed at first and she would just fight me and once I stopped she just wanted to start going on her own.
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 5:07 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• 1st... read, "Once Upon a Potty" and tell your ds how proud you are of "Joshua" for going pee-pee AND poo-poo on the big-boy potty.
    2nd.. Put a Cheerio in the potty and tell your ds you'll be SO Proud of him if he can pee on it and sink it!! Wow!! What a big boy he'd be if he could do that!!!
    LOL.. it worked for us!!!
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 11:30 PM on Sep. 24, 2010