Skipping grades?

Have any of you had a child skip a grade? What was your experience with that? We are debating having our 8 year old skip a grade. He's bored in class, already struggles with ADHD and we think perhaps a more challenging environment will be better. He is pretty mature, but I am still apprehensive about it.

SabrinaBean

Asked by SabrinaBean at 10:32 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I don't think it's a great idea. Is there not a way he can be challenged within his classroom? When I was in school I went into the next grade for reading class with kids who were reading a year ahead (ie when I was in 2nd I went into the 3rd grade classroom with kids who were reading on a 4th grade level). The school wanted me to skip a grade, but I was already one of the youngest in my grade due to my bday. I am so glad my parents didn't let me! I would have been fine socially in elementary school, but middle school would have been pure hell!!

Answer by missanc at 11:13 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I think that's a terrible idea. Especially with a kid with ADHD. They will be socially behind. I can't believe the school would even suggest this. We held my just 5 year old back a year, because I believe it's better to be the oldest than the youngest. Please get advise before you do something so drastic.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:34 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I was skipped and it stunk! Kids are already harsh but when you are the youngest and the rest of the kids know you were skipped it is social suicide. Most of the kids either thought I was some kind of freak and avoided me, thought that i must think i'm "all that" and hated me, or tried to copy my papers.... It was a very bad experience and left me very unhappy in that school. The problem was only fixed by me GM changing my schools so that no kids new my age or that I was a skip. Being the new kid was tuff but nothing like being the "freak". Think really hard about this. Your child may be mentally ready but is he socially and physically ready? I don't know if it is an option for you but private schools tend to have a hard corriculum that may challenge you son more with out putting him in a socially akward possition.
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 10:43 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Talk to the pros..... his teachers, principal and the school psychologist... he might be board now, but he might end up struggling in Middle and High school and end up having to repeat a grade.

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 10:38 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I skipped a grade, but not until high school. I was an older person in the grade, my birthday being in October, so I was pretty mature. I don't regret it, but I don't think I would advocate for it strongly. Most kids benefit from being with their peers, not being a year younger than everyone else. That being said, each child is different, so it is hard to say whether you child would personally benefit from moving up or if he just needs some extra work to keep him occupied in class.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 1:31 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• We are getting a lot of advise on the matter, but mainly from a professional point of view and I wanted some mom point of views. I'm not too worried about him being socially behind, he plays sports with kids in his grade and the grades above and below his and has friends across the board. I just hate that he's bored with his school work and he is bored in class. It is a private school, so maybe the curriculum will eventually pick up.

In terms of his ADHD, he focuses SO much better when he is challenged, which is why I mentioned it. It's when he is not interested or when things are too simple that he starts acting up and spacing out.
    SabrinaBean

Comment by SabrinaBean (original poster) at 10:45 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• @missanc We are trying to do some kind of compromise like that. I actually did something very similar when I was in 1st grade too! I also did combo classes from 2-4th grade and was always the younger grade so it was easier to cheat up my curriculum. Unfortunately the classroom schedules at his school are not as easy to navigate, things are taught at different days on different times. :(
    SabrinaBean

Comment by SabrinaBean (original poster) at 11:21 AM on Sep. 22, 2010