What should I ask my doctor for if I want to be tested to see if I carry the gene for cancer?

I do not know my father. My mother had him put in prison when she found out he was molesting my sister and brother (sister was 6 and brother was 18 months). I have no desire to know him or his family, but genetically I worry about things.

I have already found that I carry MRSA Staph and have passed that to my daughter. We are both resistant to antibiotics for staph and it is hard for us to be treated when we get an infection.

I also worry that I could carry cancer or other genetic diseases. I have tested positive for Thyroid issues which do not come from my mothers side as the MRSA did not.

So.... I want to be tested to see if I carry the cancer gene so that if I do I can be sure to have scans regularly to ensure my health is well so I can continue to be there for my babies. I'm young so they tend not to check as much when you are my age but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

What do I ask my doctor to test for?

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 10:37 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Health

• Genitics and cancer don't always coincide. Many women get cancer and there is no family history of it. So I would suggest regular checkups and scans to keep up on for everyone. I'm so sorry to hear what you've gone through! Really!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:40 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I would just ask your doctor about it and see what he/she says about it. It's been nick named a cancer gene. They just test the genes to see if your cells are susceptable to cancer. It won't actually tell if you will get it or not! I hope you find what you are looking for. :)
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:50 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• And PLEASE no bashing about me over reacting.

It will not change my mind and will make no difference.

Thank you.
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 10:38 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Well I read in a cancer group and in some research that you can have a blood test done to see if you carry a cancer gene. That's what I'm interested in. :)

Thank you for the support Musicmom80. :)
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 10:45 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Yeah I know it won't tell me if I will get it or not. I just want to test to see if I am susceptable more than others to be safe. :)

Also if I am then there is a good chance I will need to have the kids tested too. :)
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 2:06 PM on Sep. 22, 2010