How can I calm down my fighting children (ages 3 and 21 months) without yelling and getting frustrated?

MommaCM

Asked by MommaCM at 10:39 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• Separate them.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 10:41 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• You just need to sit down with them and explain to them about sharing and teach them how to take turns and that its not nice to hit/kick/bite ect.
    My 4 yr old and 2 yr old do that sometimes and i try to stay calm and then i make them hug and kiss and appoligize.
    AWebber212

Answer by AWebber212 at 10:41 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Help them work on conflict resolution skills (sharing, taking turns, talking it out, compromising) etc. Those things do not come naturally to people and it's something you'll have to keep working with them on at different levels as they get older. With my kids, I give it a shot or two at helping them work it out, then I separate them (and take away the thing they were fighting over if applicable) and give them seperate activities to do. Sometimes separating them for a little while will work, but if they go right back at it again, then separate them for a longer period (the rest of the morning/afternoon/day, whatever).

With my older kids, if they are still bugging each other after one separation, I find them separate activities to do in the form of chores, but yours are a little young for that.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:49 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• try to do something different to attract thier attention so that they forget about fights and join you
    worriedmom30

Answer by worriedmom30 at 10:05 AM on Sep. 23, 2010