What are cute ideas for an 8 year old's under the sea birthday party?

She wants a pinata and we will be swimming. I'm thinking of decorating with fish and sea shells. Any other low-cost ideas?

How about toys? What's your little one's favorites? Any hits or misses I should know about these days?

Thanks in advance!

mellonhead

Asked by mellonhead at 10:45 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• For my son's "Under The Sea"-themed party, I built a 6-foot-long Great White Shark pinata using an inflatable pool toy as the mold. We filled it with red confetti and plastic gold coins and seashells from the dollar store. It was a huge hit and the pinata stuffing served as "goodie bag" swag. More seashells from the dollar store went into a cheapo inflatable kiddie pool with sand from Home Depot for the kids to dig their own shells.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 12:17 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Well there is the obvious Little Mermaid theme you could do. But if you want low cost I would just do down to the local dollar store and pick up some light blue, dark blue, and green colored streamers and put them up so it gives the water/ocean look. Then find some little fish cut outs and put them up. As for toys, you can find floaties this time of year pretty cheap. Get her one for the swimming party.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 10:48 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Make Blue Raspberry jello in clear punch cups and put Swedish fish in the cups when they are halfway full.... then cover with saran wrap and put into a candy bag and fill with treats.... i did it for a friends "under the sea" party and they were a big hit.
    VanessaMomof2

Answer by VanessaMomof2 at 11:28 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Wow! You guys are wonderful! I love the jello idea and the shark pinata is incredible. My daughter would flip! She's into sharks right now. I love filling the pinata with confetti and toys and some candy, but what about clean up? Hmmm, I guess I could put down a tarp. I have a blue one. You guys are great for helping me brainstorm! I wish I could give all of you best answer!
    mellonhead

Comment by mellonhead (original poster) at 11:43 AM on Sep. 23, 2010