do any of your kids hae aczema and what do you do to make it better?

well my on has had it since he was born the doctor thoguh it was just baby acne at the beggining so she had given me hydrocordizone well that hasnthelp much yesterday i took him to his 6 month checkup adn the doctor said dince it hasnt gone away it was aczema. she said to not put anything with scent on his face. and that depending on how he kept on oign he might have to go to a dermatologist. what can i do to make it better?

Alejandra10

Asked by Alejandra10 at 10:45 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• try aquaphor or eucerin cream. You can get them just about anywhere and if you go to the pharmacy they may have a generic brand that is cheaper. They are both very thick and greasy...cut down on baths to every other day and keep the water just luke warm (warmer water dries out your skin) when he gets out of the bath just pat him dry and apply the aquaphor. if you are still having problems with it they may want to give you a stronger steroid cream but these shouldnt be used for more than a couple of weeks at a time or they may go to another type of prescription medicine. I hope the aquaphor works for you.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 10:55 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• aquaphor didnt work so now the doc told me to use eucerin so hopefully that will work
    Alejandra10

Comment by Alejandra10 (original poster) at 11:01 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Did the doctor explain anything to you about this.... My son has asthma... related to eczama... if his longs were clear his skin was not... and vise versa.... He recommend a non-steriod cream that we received in his office plus Aquaphora to hold moisture... my sons worse time of the year was in the fall... he would scratch in his sleep until it bleed... he had to wear pj with long pants and long sleeve shirts... your doctor needs to give you more information
    kamore

Answer by kamore at 11:29 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• My oldest had it. What worked for her was finding her triggers. Excema is a reactionary condition, meaning usually if someone is stressed out it flares up or if someone is allergic to something it flares up. So We found out that if my oldest is overly stressed or drinks to much milk (milk is a HUGE trigger for this) she'll flare up.
    It's been 2 years since we limited her milk consumption (has it on cereal and a glass at dinner! she can have dairy products, yogurt, cheese and the like but not actual milk) and she has been very nearly stress free and she hasn't flared up once.
    When she does flare up .. We soak in the tub and put a natural healing salve on it. Hydrocortizone cream burns my dd's skin and she cries when it's applied... so it doesn't work for us.
    MyIslandGirls

Answer by MyIslandGirls at 11:39 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Check the cream you're using to see if it contains petroleum products (petrolatum). Petrolatum does seal moisture in, but as it degrades it actually strips moisture, which is not beneficial for a condition like eczema. Rosehip seed oil, pumpkin seed butter, soy butter and pure olive squalane all can help with eczema.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 12:13 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• DD has had it since infancy, she is now almost 5. Keep the skin hydrated. Aquaphor/Vaseline, even if after a few applications it doesn't seem to help, continue it. It moisturizes the skin. We use rx Desonide ointment for flare ups. We also use Benadryl when the itching is outrageous. Oatmeal baths can help. A newer dr. used a combo of raw shea butter and iodine, and the treatment (though it was only once) helped a little. Thinking of looking for raw shea butter now, to do this at home.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:07 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Also, we use free and clear detergent. I recommend seeing the dermatologist anyway, because eczema can be lifelong, and it's good to establish a relationship with a dermatologist, so that they are aware of all symptoms since infancy.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:10 PM on Sep. 22, 2010