What color compliments dark red?

We recently moved into a house that we are renting, we are allowed to paint and I really want to paint my kitchen...it is open to the dinning room though and it is white beadboard up to the chair rail and then the upper wall is a deep red/burgandy color that I do not want to try to cover up.. What color can I paint the kitchen so it doesnt clash? I am at a total loss...

foxracing43701

Asked by foxracing43701 at 10:46 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I say a nice weedy or earthy green.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:34 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Here's an interesting site on picking colors that go well together. I would personally go with a shade of green.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:36 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• If you went with a very sage-y green, I don't think it would look too Christmas-y. Just keep the green soft and it'll look fine. (I think you could also tone down the Christmas-y effect by adding tan accents in both rooms) Good luck!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:50 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• you could do a tan or brown. go to a store that sells paint and pick out a few of the dark reds paint samples tablets that are free that best match your wall and when you finally found the one that matches closest to the dark red...go back to the store and hold it againest some colors that you for sure like and see which ones would look good.

if there is already white, dont clash it with any off whites. i would imagine it would also be hard to decorate with white decorations if you went off white
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 10:56 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• gray or silver
    fangedangel32

Answer by fangedangel32 at 11:02 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• thanks for your responses... I really want to go with green because my kitchen and dishes are apples...so the red that was already here goes well with that but I didnt want to make the kitchen red as well. A lot of my apple stuff has red and green but I dont want it to look christmasy either....guess i'll be bringing home a lot of pain swatches...lol
    foxracing43701

Comment by foxracing43701 (original poster) at 3:59 PM on Sep. 22, 2010