Do you give your children too many Christmas presents? Do you think others do?

What's too much 10, 20, 50 presents? Is it the quantity or the amount you spend that makes it too much?

mom-de-uno

Asked by mom-de-uno at 10:49 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• yes, yes (but its really none of my business what others do), and 10 gifts are too much, IMO. although, i don't include necessary items such as clothing, as gifts. i'd get those no matter what time of year it was.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:51 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I'm starting to think that I give my girls to much because the amount of stuff in their rooms. They get toys and things year round from family. I don't think they need any more to be completely honest.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 10:52 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• we have always given the kids five gifts and stocking stuffers.... we try to keep the amount of money we spend about the same for all 4 of them... However as a family we adopt another family and each person has to by gifts for there adopted buddy... it teaches them that it is just as important to give as receive.
    kamore

Answer by kamore at 10:52 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I get way too many. I always panic at the end thinking I don't have enough and keep buying. I don't only buy toys though. I get socks, underwear, shampoo, brushes. Really everything they need for a while. I'll even buy favorite snacks like Ho Hos and wrap it up. I go a little crazy.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:54 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I bought my son a power wheel for $300. But he never gets stuff like that.And all the kids play on I do think if you a give a child too many gifts they expect it, can't process it totally and can be overwhelming, and it's harder for them to appreciate a gift.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:54 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I think it's more the amount you spend on the presents than the amount of presents they get. My daughter has only been here for two Christmases and so far, she's gotten maybe 20 presents each year. We never spend over $250 on her. That will certainly change when we have another child though. She usually gets one big thing and whatever accessories to go with it and smaller things, like clothes, small toys, books, movies, etc.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 11:24 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I don't think I go overboard on gifts (2 or 3 per child, and nothing crazy expensive either), but I do tend to buy too many stocking stuffers. If what I buy doesn't fit in the stocking I save it for later - rainy day, just because, etc.. My family doesn't go overboard on gifts for my kids either, but when you add together what we buy and what they buy it is probably too much in total.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:03 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I never count, it is different every year, but we never go overboard.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:39 PM on Sep. 22, 2010