Sad... Just sad...

As I read through some of the questions parents ask regarding homework, the fact that their child is failing, is not motivated, or is in a resource classroom, I simply shake my head in disgust. (particularly when it is evident that the parent has had little education)
How can a child be expected to learn to read, write, self manage their time, and retain information when the parent clearly lacks the ability to parent?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 10:56 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• This would be less of a problem if education was of a higher priority in our country.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 11:00 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I help mine, but, he is still struggling with math. On a brighter note, he scored College Level on his reading/vocabulary/English assessment. LOL He has a firm grip on words and is on the edge and slipping off with numbers. I try. He is super genius (I know because he was tested in Kindergarten) but, some things we can't figure out how to help.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:04 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Wow, some pretty harsh judgement there! I know I have a terrible time helping my children with their homework. I am no genius but, but no idiot either. Alot of the parents I talk with on a daily basis are having the same problems. Alot of it has to do with how the kids are being taught these days. Most of us simply did not learn the way they are teaching things now. I got excellent grades in math and am comletely lost when it comes to helping my child. I can come up with the same answers but the problems are now worked in totally different ways. I have had my children receive failing grades simply because the way I showed them to come up with the CORRECT answer was not the way they wanted it done. I'm sorry but I am not and probably will not be, able to wrap my head around new math. I really don't think that makes me lazy or stupid. I'm sorry you do. Ever heard of an open mind?
    asegrest

Answer by asegrest at 11:21 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Some parents just don't want to take the time to help the child.. Children need support and they should get that from the parent.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:01 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Agreed... But it makes me sad to see. And frightened too, that those children will eventually repeat the cycle since their own parents were too preoccupied to actually parent.

I was accused by my DS's teacher last week of doing just this, because I forgot to initial his homework calendar on one day. It blows the mind that parents simply ignore those remarks, the conferences, all the interventions (that wouldn't be necessary if they did their job!).
    What bothers me just as much is to see kids who have had zero education intentionally having babies- I know, I'll be called a hypocrite for that one (since I was a teen mom). Fact remains that some people simply should not be having children regardless of age, and education most definitely plays a large role in ones ability to successfully parent.
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 11:05 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• @ braden, I understand. My DD's lowest score is in math, though she's reading on a HS level, and aced her MAP tests last year.
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 11:07 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• What's really sad is the fact that if you move here from Europe you will fall behind, and then when you go back, they hold you back to make up for what you didn't learn over here.... The US has one of the worst educationsystems in the world... It's sad we're a a wonderful place to live, but our kids aren't getting the education they deserve!! As for the parents not having any education, and then the children suffer for it, yes it's sad, but that's why we need better education, to help make up for that....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:07 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• It is time to fix the educational system... it is broken because we have to many people who are uneducated themselves trying to raise children... the system needs to be able to reach each child at there potential.... these are going to be our future leaders... this is scary!
    kamore

Answer by kamore at 11:17 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• So op, what is your solution? There is more to being a parent than having children with great grades. Teaching children social skills is important too. I know brilliant people who no one can work with because they are as abrasive as brillo pads.
    My first child makes staright A's. My second and third would rather play than study. I have to pull teeth pratically. You have no right to say that if someone is uneducated they shouldn't be parents. Some children of educated parents (like my children) just don't want to sit still long enough to study. Quit judging.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 11:19 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• If you feel judged, that is a personal problem... MY issue lies with parent who simply put forth no effort, complain that their kids are failing, and then prove completely incompetent individuals.
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 11:26 AM on Sep. 22, 2010