How do you handle rude people that you HAVE to deal with?

Calling some places is honestly a chore for me and its my good deed of the day to not be mean. Some people are rude and snotty when you call their office for help. And its normally uncalled for. I understand having a bad day but I didnt cause your bad day. How do you handle people like this? Should you say something or just grin and bare it?

MommaWoods

Asked by MommaWoods at 11:04 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Relationships

• Well I work in customer service.. so I deal with people like this all the time.. All I can do is be nice & try to kiss their ass and make them happy.. It sucks.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:04 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I understand what your saying, I try to kill them with kindness, sometimes they change there attitude and sometimes not but at least I don't get myself all worked up.
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 11:05 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• At work I try to kill them with kindness. If they are really rude, I will say, you know you seem like you are having a rough day today, and I am really sorry. I wouldn't bother you at all except I have to have _____ to do my job. Usually that calms even the meanest!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 11:09 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I don't know. I think some people need to be called out. Some might be that way all the time and no one has ever done anything about it. I would ask to speak to their manager if their ugly behavior was excessive.

I know what you're saying about bad days. I've had bad days, but I usually don't let them affect complete strangers.
    Biz1985

Answer by Biz1985 at 11:15 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Just say to them bless your heart. Thanks for your help. It is a nice way of saying you have issues. Lol
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 11:27 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Me.

I'm nice to them. As friendly and jovial as possible in the situation.. Because like you said, most of the time, when someone in that position is curt/rude/snappy..etc.. It's because they have had a bad day and they have most likely dealt with a few assholes along the way who have helped that bad day along. So, I try and be a bright spot in their day..

The world is full of assholes, I don't need to add my name to the list...lol
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 12:11 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I worked retail for many years. I have been screamed at, spit on, and a few other things. When I have to make calls I try and be very polite explain why I called... if they are still rude... I will say something like... "I understand you are having a bad day but this is what I need you to do... Do you think you can help me or maybe someone else can?" They usually change there attitude pretty quick.
    kamore

Answer by kamore at 12:20 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• dont take it pesonally , youre right they may be having a bad day , whatever the reason they are acting that way its THEIR issue not yours, just let it go in one ear and out the other dont dwell on it , by dwelling on it youre allowing them to mess up your day.
    bekkaboo89

Answer by bekkaboo89 at 9:56 PM on Sep. 22, 2010