two part breastfeeding/teething question.

My son is six month old and when he was three months his Dr said he was teething. He has had tiny white spotsw along his gums ever since. He is still showing teething signs, (pulling his ear, chewing on finger, etc.) But he still hasn't had any teeth break through. I know two other babies his age who have teeth now. Also, he has gone from nursing every two-three hours to every 4-5 hours. I'm worried about keeping my supply. Are these things normal?
No bashing please. Remember, "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." ;)

GingerMom33

Asked by GingerMom33 at 11:07 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've heard your body will adapt to how often you nurse. So if you nurse just twice a day, your body can adjust.

My daughters got teeth super early, and call me crazy, I think i remember seeing little tooth buds just weeks after my second one was born. They finally broke through around 6 months, but I remember seeing them beneath her gums for months.
    Biz1985

Answer by Biz1985 at 11:08 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• My DDs were both like that. Their teething lasted for months with out any tooth. My youngest has this one tooth that she has been workin on for the past 2 months and still isn't out. You can see it and you know she is dealing with all the pains and discomforts but it just won't come out! Poor girl. As for the BF its fine. Babies go through spurts. As soon as he needs more milk he will start eating ever hour for short spurts. That part is annoying but it gets the milk back up to where he needs it. :)
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 11:10 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• He'll get his teeth whenever they come. There is nothing you can do. My daughter was 4 months, my son was 8 months. There is no point in worrying about it. Do you think he'll be 8 without teeth? As for nursing - normal. Good luck mommy.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:10 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• At 6 months they go thru another growth spurt. He is nursing more often to make your body create more milk once your body catches up, he will last longer between feedings. That's normal.

As for the teething, all babies start teething from birth. Most wait until later to have them break thru while others get them in a few months.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:10 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Everything sounds normal and fine and as long as he is taking what he needs, you will make what he needs...when he does decide to eat more, your body will make more.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:11 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• normal. my kids were teething at 3 mts and no teeth till almost 10 mts. also the nursing. as long as the baby is still making 6-8 diapers a day your supply is fine.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:21 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• My daughter started getting the little white spots on her gums when she was about 4 months old. She didn't actually cut her first tooth until she was 13 months old.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 11:24 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Teething starts several months before the teeth actually come through... my son got his first tooth at 7 months... but started teething at around 5 months. It's normal they chew, drool and fuss the whole time. (Baltic amber teething necklaces work wonders!)

It's also normal that the feedings get more spread out. They start to eat larger amounts more spread out... your supply should be okay. But if you start having troubles with it then you can either offer the breast more often than he asks or pump to keep your supply up.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:53 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Feedings do start to space out. It is important to make sure you aren't putting feedings off. It's easy to get too busy and the baby is stressed and can have a nursing strike or premature weaning. Babies do not self wean before a year. If that was what human babies did they wouldn't survive (before formula and modern medicine). I'm not saying you are doing this, it's just easy to start doing. It's good for baby and your supply to breastfeed whenever your baby is upset and wants to breastfeed (what some people call comfort nursing).  

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:34 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• All good!

Answer by gdiamante at 1:10 PM on Sep. 22, 2010