When does a bump on the head become serious?

My son fell backwards on the couch and hit the back of his head on the granite coffee table, giving him a nasty bump! I know there are two "soft spots" on babies heads, one being in the back. My Dh says that kids just bump their heads, but when should you be concerned?

carol2m2

Asked by carol2m2 at 11:15 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Here are some signs from webmd.com Loss of consciousness, Confusion or abnormal behavior. A young child with a head injury may be very fussy, fretful, or may cry constantly., Extreme sleepiness or difficulty waking up, Numbness, weakness, or loss of movement in the arms or legs, Vision changes and changes in the pupils' size, shape, and reaction to light, Dizziness, vertigo, or unsteadiness that prevents standing or walking, Persistent nausea and vomiting, .....if you are worried then I would take him to see the doctor or at least make a phone call....most are able to determind if it is something they want to look at...but if he is acting like nothing has happened then it is most likely nothing....Both of my kids had fallen a time or two and had a nasty easter egg bump on their heads and it was nothing...but call dr if you are worried...
    sharonnacy

Answer by sharonnacy at 11:27 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Be concerned if he becomes lethargic, his pupils don't respond to light or if he becomes inconsolable. Any signs of a concussion should be worrisome, but if he's acting normal, it's not a big deal.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 11:18 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• if it swells inwards and not out. thats badbadbad
    MommaWoods

Answer by MommaWoods at 11:27 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• If there is vomiting, not being able to stay awake unless it is nap time, or if it is gushing blood.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:18 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• if they are knocked out from the fall or begin vomiting afterwards... if they are otherwise fine, other than a nasty bump, then it's not a problem.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:00 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• From what I understand you should worry if they start acting lethargic or throw up....
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 5:54 PM on Sep. 22, 2010