Does having back labor always mean that baby is facing up?

Or could you just be a back labor person? I wasn't told that my son was facing up, but, it was ALL back labor. I have also heard that it is more difficult to have them if they are like that, but, I had a 7 hour 2.5 push labor and birth. So, do you think he was facing up or did I just have crappy pains? LOL..I am curious now. I hope it was a fluke and any future births aren't back labor.

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 11:16 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had back labor and she was not face up.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:18 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I had a sunny side up and no back labor at all.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:20 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• well i had back labor for the last half hour of labor and she came out effortlessly in 5 pushes...idk which way she came out, only that she made a fist and put it next to her head so a lot more came out at once then was supposed to but she still came out effortlessly
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 11:21 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Ah, very interesting you should ask... Apparently the shape of my pelvis does not permit for descent into the birth canal unless they are posterior (its a family trait- over 2/3 of all of the babies born on the maternal side have been posterior as well).

I have had 3 posterior births, and 2 with INTENSE back labor. The only normal labor pains I felt were with my 3rd child, who had apparently rotated just prior to his birth- I had excess fluid, and he was a small baby so he just bobbed around in the womb for the entire pregnancy with plenty of room to move about. Funnily enough, he had the largest head of all of mine, but was the smallest baby! LOL
    My mother had 3 of her 4 posterior, and also experienced intense back labor. My sister has had4 of her 6 posterior, and again, experienced intense back labor.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:23 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Well, hell..y'all are no help. LOL Everyones answer is different. Hahaha

Well, I hope it was a fluke and I have no back labor with the next ones. I will be super bitchy if I experience it next time...LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 11:26 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I had no back labor and a posterier baby and a friend has had back labor both pregnancies and neither was posterior. For me it was definitely harder pushing out the posterior baby then my first (30 min #1 and 45 min #2 pushing).
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 11:47 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I had 10hrs of back labor and he was face down.
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 1:28 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I have witnessed quite a few births as a Doula plus been pregnant 7 times myself.
    It seems as though many many women have pain in their lower back. Is this "back labor"? I'm not sure but it hurts!
    It does not always mean that your baby is posterior. It could also be due to how your uterus is shaped, the round ligaments, your pelvis structure, etc.

Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:30 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Well y'all all suck..your supposed to tell me it's rare and only happens on occasion. LOL If I have back labor everytime...I may adopt. Haha. Ok, I will just hope for the best.
    BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 1:32 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• nope, had sever back labor with both my kids, and both were not facing up.
    cardinal58

Answer by cardinal58 at 8:30 PM on Sep. 22, 2010