When you are posting a link to prove a point, how do you know it's reliable, and accurate?

I just wonder because anyone can be on the net these days. The web is huge. I think I could find a link supporting that I am part alien if I really wanted to! lol

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 11:17 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think it depends on the link being posted and the subject matter. I mean, if it's a subject that someone is educated about - beyond what they have read online - and they post a link with information they know to be true, that's one thing... However, if it's something which is simply opinion no matter how you look at it, then the link doesn't need to be factual or trustworthy because it's simply opinion...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:22 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I have never done it but if I had to I will go to a reliable website, not wikipedia.
    sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 11:22 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I don't get them from regular blogs or random places. I find sites that have references to back up their claims. And info that I know for a fact to be true.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:22 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Here's where I get confused lol....hypothetical here, If you are for marijuana legalization, you can find several links with stuff to back it up, and why it should happen, and you will find links against it with their facts and reasonings too? So which ones right? The one you agree with? Yeah, I know, I think alot. LOL
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 11:27 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Unfortunately "fact" an opinion to most people, rather than an absolute. There are a lot of "Facts" stating that Formula Causes Infant Death- But anyone who chooses not to believe the evidence states it as opinion... There is absolutely NO way to convey to the average joe what is, and what is not. Regardless of the medium. ie Telling someone that McDonalds every meal will eventually affect their health will not prevent them from going on an all MickeyD's diet if they choose not to believe the factual evidence. Regardless of where it came from.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:32 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• What ObbyDobbie said...LOL...there may be facts, but, you may see it as opinion...or vice versa.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:33 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• But where is the evidence? We know about Mc Donalds, there are documented cases. Not all of the links with "facts" carry documented cases supporting the fact.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 11:40 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Yeah, I agree on the wikepedia thing...it's not always accurate, but sometimes it matches up with the other links
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 11:41 AM on Sep. 22, 2010