Family friend over stepping the "line"

Anyone else have a family friend thats like family? Ever have them over step the line all us moms have? My kids "pawpaw" acts like HE has the final say in what my kids can and cannot do. Even when I CLEARLY tell him back up. We have gotten into HUGE fights over it. But we live next door and the boys love him. I am honestly ready to move but dont want to do the actual MOVING. What am I suppose to do?

MommaWoods

Asked by MommaWoods at 11:21 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Relationships

• Girl i would tell to his face to back off, & if he doesnt he's no longer wlecome in your home Or with your kids... Its time for you to draw the line...
    good luck
    yamil519

Answer by yamil519 at 11:26 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Sit down and have a calm conversation. If he refuses to change, limit his contact with the children.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:27 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• No, but mainly because everyone think I'm a real bitch when it come to my kids. No one in my family or friends dare to tell me something about how to raised my kids ar even comment. Probably they will be dying to say something but I KNOW they won't. lol
    sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 11:27 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• My SIL is like that...no matter what she was right and knew what was right for my kids...my mother even does it...I have told them that they are my kids and my way of raising them. You don't have to like it or you may even think it is wrong but it is my way....My kids are healthly, safe, and happy so I know I am doing something right....Tell him that he needs to back off...and like others say if he does not then I would limit how much he can see the kids....I know living near him it is not going to be easy but if he see that you are not backing down he may back down himself....I bet he is doing it not to say what you are doing is wrong but because he loves them.
    sharonnacy

Answer by sharonnacy at 11:34 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• You don't have to continue the relationship just becasue he's your neighbor. My neighbors used to be good friends of ours. She however overstepped her bounds by constantly complaining that I need to beat my kids, feeding them excessive junk when they were over there after I said no, telling us what we can and can't afford when she doesn't pay our bills. It's been a year of not hanging out over there and it really hasn't been a big deal even though the kids used to love going over there. They got over it a lot quicker than I expected. Everytime they asked if they could go over I just said no. They soon forgot.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:37 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Good luck... this is a battle you will probably continue to have... my advice to you is to tell your children that you have the final say and it does not matter what anyone else says.... " MY WORD IS FINAL" no questions asked.
    kamore

Answer by kamore at 11:40 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• If he doesn't respect your boundaries all you CAN do is move and limit his time with your kids...it will be painful...I have been there, and I feel your pain....I don't understand what makes people think they have the right to disrespect their children, but so often they do.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 2:35 PM on Sep. 22, 2010