single moms with picky eaters?

I'm a single mom and my 6yo son is a picky eater. I cook based on what I know he will eat. I wasn't raised this way, but I had 4 older sisters and a dad to eat what I wouldn't. I cannot see cooking a meal to make him "try" new things that he will not eat and I will have to throw away. I feel like I'm cooking the same meals over & over. No variety. Anyone else feel this way?

travzmom

Asked by travzmom at 11:28 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• Intorducing new foods is always hard.. Make a dish that he likes and also make the " something" new that he must try. Just put a littel on his plate and just let him know that he needs to try it. Or do what my dh would always say.. " its a long time till breakfast".. They usually will eat it then, or give it as his snack.. One way or another, he will eat it. And this is not mean.. My kids now eat everything and still out there in this workd trying things i have not yet..
    Airforce3mom

Answer by Airforce3mom at 12:06 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Nope..I was single and my son was picky, yet, I made food and he had to try it. He is now 14 and eats whatever I fix..in fact, this weekend, he ate more veggies than meat or dessert. Slowly over time I have taught him to be super adventurous in eating. He ate so many things on his own this weekend that my mom whispered to me about it...it made me feel super proud.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:31 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• i will cook things that i like too even if he doesn't but it has to be something we'll both eat. i'm somewhat picky too.
    travzmom

Comment by travzmom (original poster) at 11:34 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I had this problem with my dd sometimes. I wouldnt bother with a whole pot of chili cause she hates it and then I was stuck eating it all week. I could force her to get thru it one night at dinner but I was still stuck with ALOT of food and a horrible dinner experience. Its hard to cook for 2 people anyway especially if only 1 of you likes variety. I used to make more items in a meal so she could eat what she wanted out of it. I wouldnt make just chili, i would instead make pork chops, green beans and rice. She could try a little of everything and eat more of what she liked the most. Atleast then I was only making 1 meal and she was forced to try something new...but other stuff on the tale would fill her up. Dont give up and only serve spaghetti and chicken nuggets. He should get a family dinner experience even if it is just the 2 of you.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:38 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• LOL..Bad Mommy. Haha. I made one thing he would eat and he could only have one helping of it unless he ate more than a bite of the disliked food. If he ate those foods, he could have more of the other.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:39 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• i find it incredibly hard to make him eat something that i don't like either! LOL i'm a terrible influence! LOL
    travzmom

Comment by travzmom (original poster) at 11:41 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I made mine and it turns out, he likes just about everything that I hate. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:42 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• ya it happens my son is of 6yrs and very choosy about what he eats and sometimes he asks for same thing over and over again.even i try something new he would never eat and wants same thing repeated.so its usual habits of some children.whenever i try sow to him,i keep his favourite one aside so that if he doesn't want it he can have food of his choice
    worriedmom30

Answer by worriedmom30 at 9:52 AM on Sep. 23, 2010