My 15 year old son who I've always been very close to doesn't want to have anything to do with me anymore and its breaking my heart.

I'm divorced and have been for 8 years but have an ok relationship with my sons father. I work full-time, and have a 21 year old daughter. Up until 2 months ago, my son was a loving good kid, I realise he is growing into adulthood and doesn't want to be a mummy's boy and this is very normal at this stage but he now only wants to be with his dad and doesn't even talk to me anymore.

gin1955

Asked by gin1955 at 12:35 AM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• He might just feel more comfortable talking with dad about things probably thinks dad will understand because he's a man and knows what your son is going through I would just give him some space and not push him he will come around
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 12:42 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• He is 16 and a boy, he is getting to an age where he might not be able to come to you with everything and he really wants to relate on a male level with someone. Talk to him ask him if you've done something to hurt him or offend him. You may have done something that has upset him without him knowing it and he doesn't know how to talk to you about it.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 12:52 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I wonder if his dad is saying anything negative about you. ? I know my son when he would go to his dad's house he would come back different. Keep those communication lines going. Oh, get him in the car. Whenever i think my son of hubby might walk away from a conversation I wait til we are driving in the car. lol...they can't leave the car when we're on the road.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 4:59 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I found out that my son's father would always nag him to tell me to get child support off of him. He never paid me. :( But I still have him on. It's accumlating, because he never works.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 5:02 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Have him watch Alpha Dog the movie, (no, I don't receive a penny!) The movie has this part in it that my son, played by Anton Yelchin, said he was going to start being nicer to me.

He never got that chance.

((Give him a Hug)) and one for me ((Hug))

Nick's Mom

Susan Markowitzspinning globe

NicksMomPOMC

Answer by NicksMomPOMC at 9:47 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I HAVE A 15 YR OLD ALSO. WE DON'T COMMUNICATE EITHER ANYMORE. HE WENT TO LVE WITH HIS DAD TEMPORARY. NOW THE DAD WANTS FULL CUSTODY.....U THINK YOU HAVE PROBLEMS!
    SUNSHINE1515

Answer by SUNSHINE1515 at 3:27 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Been there. He will come around probably after high school. It is normal for a guy his age to want to spend more time with dad since he has more in common with him. Also, he needs a male role- model to help him become a man himself. Don't discourage it unless his father is not a good role -model.
    Goodthings

Answer by Goodthings at 12:33 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I have a 16 year old who will not see me, talk to me, respond to my e-mails or telephone calls. His stated goal in therapy last Spring was to have a 'distant relationship, at best.' I found out today that he told his counselor that he does not want to work things out. with me. She is closing his case...........not because he does not need help, but because he is refusing to work with her. He basically does not want me in his life. My heart is broken, but life goes on. I knew this was the chance I was taking when I put him into the psyche ward last December.

One little bit of self-pity: I did nothing wrong, I stood strong and made the hard choices. His freaking father was/is abusive and vindictive. And I am the one who lost. Life is. Perhaps someday my son will return to have a relationship with me..............until then I mourn the years of his life I am missing and remember the years we were together.
    DanieT

Answer by DanieT at 1:50 AM on Dec. 12, 2008