my daughter has reached puberty at age 10?how should i handle her?

she is overweight.she doesnt listen to me and if i forces her for anything she gets angry and sometimes strats crying.making me feel guilty.what should i do now when she has reached puberty at this age.i'm so worried.should i take her to doctor or this is normal?

worriedmom30

Asked by worriedmom30 at 11:39 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• Normal I think... mine did the same thing.
    Hell, I was 14.... wonder what happened within the generations?
    Gremlyn1980

Answer by Gremlyn1980 at 11:44 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Totally normal, you need to do the same thing you would have done if she were older, talk to her about what is happening to her, if not go to the library and get her a book. This might help her shed some weight, when she gets interested in boys she will do something to loose weight.

Answer by older at 11:49 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• wow, she sounds spoiled. All she has to do is cry & then you feel guilty for asking her to do something? She is manipulating you. She knows if she cries, that you'll feel bad. You need to practice tough love more often. I would tell her that when she is done crying, she needs to do what you told her. Practice being a bit more stern. Moms should be fun, happy & sweet. But they also should be stern when it's needed.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:49 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Its normal mine started at 9 I got my first period 2 weeks before my 10th birthday, nice present. Don't be scared to talk to her, she's a girl of course she's going to be moody lol. The one thing I wish my parents would have done is been more open and honest about it, they didn't even tell me what it was, and to top it off my dad was the one who tried to talk to me about it , It was a mess, suport her, talk to her.
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 11:56 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I hit puberty at 10 and so did my mother, It's unusual but definately happens. But having the doctor talk to her about whats going on right now for her might be a nice idea if you can. The not listening to you is not normal same with the getting angry and the crying. Where she is overweight it could very well be something as simple as that the girls at school are being mean and when you hit puberty early they can be very mean. The doctor or a school psychologist can probly get more answer out of her as to what's wrong.
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 11:57 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Mine (now 12) just started her monthly this late Summer so she's only had two (one coming up) and we have had issues w/it also. I don't know if you are talking basic puberty or actually starting her monthly at her age? Either way, mine started going through puberty at 9, w/breast buds and pimples hair, etc. so I agree w/others kids start earlier than we did at their ages. Why, who knows for sure, they say hormones in meat, milk or just plain growing up too fast, etc. I took my daughter to her doctor at age 9 when it started to happen. She listened to her dr more than me. ha! I also have and did get books from the library and we went through them and she looked at some by herself. Not just once but several times in the past few years I've gotten them. Good luck, it's normal, though, I know a little scary for us Mom's too.
    cat4458

Answer by cat4458 at 12:12 PM on Sep. 22, 2010