What do you tell your kids when they have questions about your past?

I married a man with 2 kids now 12 yrs. later we have 2 kids and our kids ask me why aren't daddy and his first wife not together what happened I just tell them the truth and go with it I don't say bad things about the ex but they know where I am coming from I tell them it was her loss losing daddy now we have him and now we have you ;) Kind of made it short and sweet they were ok with it. iknow they were just curious.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I do the same thing. My daughter asks why her dad doesn't come to see her (he lives a sate away and doesn't do ANYTHING for her - very sad) and I tell her because he is a state away and can't afford the trip and that it is his loss because mommy gets her all to herself! :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:05 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• The truth, leaving out any extraneous details. When my kids ask why their dad and I aren't together, I just tell them we were happier living apart than together. There's no need for them to have the gritty, adult details as to why.

Answer by missanc at 12:07 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• the truth, thankfully i don't have anything in my past to hide or be ashamed of so anything they'd ask i'll most likely tell them the truth.
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 12:08 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I would do exactly what you did...the truth is always the best
    BradensMom1026

Answer by BradensMom1026 at 12:15 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I always tell the truth and hope that they can learn and see that we are human too.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:25 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• You have done just what I have done....you got the parenting thing down!
    Alysa505

Answer by Alysa505 at 5:11 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I see no reason to lie to my children about anything, even if I'm not proud of the things I've done.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 5:13 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Ditto. It's good to let your kids see that you are human too, and have made mistakes in the past. But everything you did or didn't do brought you to where you are today!
    RJNEELEY

Answer by RJNEELEY at 6:27 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I usually give them the short and sweet answer... And sometimes they come back with more questions... I just try and be honest!
    kamore

Answer by kamore at 12:11 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• i always tell them the truth just like you did. i don't give out extra info. but i will answer their questions honestly and i tell them so they will understand it.
    momandytai

Answer by momandytai at 4:52 PM on Sep. 23, 2010