breastfeeding, work related question?

Hey, lactation gurus...

I work two nights a week as a server in a chain restaurant. I started back thirteen days after the birth of my daughter, who would take a bottle of bm gratefully...until about six months. She figured out pretty quickly that if she waited long enough the boobs came home.

So... when I started back it was with the conditions, NO CLOSING, because, well, it gets to be really uncomfortable.

They just changed the rules and they say that the server with the highest tip percentage HAS to close. The baby is fifteen months old, and still nurses every two or three hours, except when I'm at work.

I have the top tip percentage in the district.
Last night, I came home, and my boobs were the size of Jessica Rabbits.
Do I have any rights here? Considering my job, stopping to pump is kind of well, not really feasible.

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 12:07 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• Ask for a break to pump. Even if your baby isn't taking BM from a bottle it will make you more comfotable. You can pump just enough to relieve the pain.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:24 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• They are required to make accommodations for you so you can pump. I came back to work FT 5 weeks after I had our second child and I was pumping every 3-4 hours. Feasible or not, there's no reason why they shouldn't allow you to pump. Also, they have to provide you with a private area that is not a bathroom stall.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 12:33 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• They are required to allow you to pump, they are not required to bend rules for you like who is required to close or not. I would bring a handpump and take a few minutes to pump to relieve the engorgement. I worked as a waitress while my oldest was a baby and while I didn't have a lot of time to go pump without it affecting my tips, I was able to find 5 mins here and there to keep myself from getting too engorged.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:50 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Ditto to required time for pumping.

If you don't want to take the time to pump and you're not concerned about the waste you could express by hand when have a moment.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:07 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Legally, a workplace is supposed to make allowances for a breastfeeding mom to pump. You have to work out the details as to how and where with your boss.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:16 PM on Sep. 22, 2010