Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Where do I go to apply for food stamps?

We have no food, and I don't know what to do. I've been using what we DO have [cereal] to feed my daughter but that's about to run out. We have no money until the 1st and that money is for the rent.
Where do I go to apply? How long will it take for me to get them?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Food & Drink

Answers (14)
  • here in MI you go to DHS

    Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:13 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

  • your towns department of social services

    Answer by aliishott2 at 12:13 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

  • you can apply online, and it will take up to a month.
    for now, go to a local church for some help. go down to the local WIC office, and go to the food bank.

    Answer by lovinangels at 12:13 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

  • Aww..Im so sorry! =(.. Human Services Dept.. Good Luck Sweetie!♥

    Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:13 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

  • What state do u live in? message me,we'll talk.

    Answer by dancer at 12:13 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

  • Look in the website or go to a charity in your area and maybe they will be able to guide you. It also take like a month or two to get fs. I suggest you go to a church or food bank and get some food. It will be can but at least is something. GL!

    Answer by sweetyazfl at 12:14 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

  • so sorry hon, i know the feeling :( it can take up to a month for them to approve you/get u benefits, hopefully your city/state has emergency FS benefits and they can rush the application though, in the meantime find a food bank or local church that can help you out. definately try a WIC office too cause if you have a little one they can help you get milk/cereal/food for her ((((HUGS))))

    Answer by DreainCO at 12:15 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

  • they have emergency assistance if you qualify and you can get that within days! good luck and hopefully things get better!

    Answer by 06-07mom at 12:18 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

  • Grab your tax forms and head on down to human services. They will help you out.

    Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 12:19 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

  • You can also talk to the Salvation Army and they can help you out with other services. Clothing, shelter, etc... It is especially important that your children are taken care of and the Salvation Army doesn't base their help on your income, just your need.

    Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 12:20 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Food & Drink
Teacher Appreciation

Next question overall (Health)
Dizzy spells and headaches?