When payday rolls around... ?

Do you pay bills first then get groceries/household items with whatever is left? Or do you get groceries/household items first then pay as many bills as you can with what's left?

I TRY and pay all the bills that we CAN'T be late on (credit cards, car payment, rent, etc) then get groceries/household items (diapers, wipes, toilet paper,etc) and pay as many bills as i can with whatever is left. the ones that i know it'll be okay to wait a few days or a week at most (dh gets paid twice a month) past the due date i hold off on if i need to, as much as i hate paying bills late I think feeding and diapering my kid(s) is more important then getting all the bills paid on time :-/

DreainCO

Asked by DreainCO at 12:12 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• Ya know, it's really sad that we have to make these choices to begin with... But for me it's bills first (mortgage, car, Credit Card,gas, car ins) then groceries, then smaller bills.
    69humblepie

Answer by 69humblepie at 12:38 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Savings
    Bills
    Household Shopping
    Fun
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 12:17 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• we do the same thing you do
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:13 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I pay the bills immediately.. and then we have food stamps for food.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:14 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I pay the bills first.

To be fair, I serve twice a week, so we have other money coming in to round things out and pick things up.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:14 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I pay my bills, then whatever is left over goes to the grocery/household budget which includes gas for the car. We really don't go anywhere very often, so $50 a month is plenty for that. If there's anything left over, we enjoy it. I want to start saving, but we really just don't have a ton left over right now once bills and everything is paid.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:15 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• The first thing that we pay is rent and then electric bill. With whatever is left we buy food, diapers, and whatever is left.
    sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 12:17 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Mortgage, utility bills, food and household items.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 12:23 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• we have our monthly bills scheduled so that nothing is due (outside of an unexpected expense) all at once. therefore, we don't necessarily have to choose, being paid twice monthly. however, that being said, dh makes an automatic deposit into savings/schwab accounts first, before he even leaves the bank.
    my 'cash allowance' is used for fun, extras, personal shopping, etc...and that amount never changes-although, i tell him all the time he doesn't 'pay' me nearly enough!!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:25 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• we have food stamps too but that doesn't last the whole month, i wish it did but by the 2nd payday of the month we're out of FS, and need to buy a few more grocery essentials (bread, milk, eggs, etc) WIC helps some too but things don't seem to stretch as much as they used to anymore, especially with 5mouths to feed :(
    DreainCO

Comment by DreainCO (original poster) at 12:24 PM on Sep. 22, 2010