My daughter is too grown up!

My daughter is 4 1/2 and is worrying me to death. She, for over a year now has been doing odd things that make me wonder. She does actions like get on top of other family friends children and "humps" on them, kisses me with her tongue and such. She has only ever been around me and I know that she does not get this from watching something I have done. No babysitters nothing! I do not know if she has accidentally watched something on tv or what! Do any of you have any ideas or share this problem? I am worried about her and don't know how to treat the situation!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Not enough info!
    Has she been around,( esp. alone for any length of time) a male relative, friend of the family, etc.?
    Has she been exposed to any movies where those things were part of the content? i know that none of my daughters ever behaved that way, so I would be quite concerned if they exhibited those kinds of behaviors, too. It is hard to make a call on this because even though I personally don't think it's normal because I have never experienced it, someone else might say it's perfectly normal.
    I think when she does these things, you should stop her and ask her why she is doing them. Children are usually quite blunt and honest at that age, unless they have been threatened not to tell by a predator. Ask her and see what answers you get from her.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 1:24 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I wrote the post and NO she has not been around a male alone for more that a few minutes, seriously! She has been camped out close to me since birth. My older dd is almost 8 and has NEVER done these things. When I ask my 4 yr old why she is doing it or where she has seen it, she answers, "I dont know!"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• If she really has not idea were she has seen this behavior and she is not acting out in any other way then I would say you need to have a talk with her.

Let her know that what she is doing is not appropriate for her to do. If she asks why explain things to her. I know that my DD started touching herself around this age. I had to talk to her about how it was okay to touch herself, she just had to do it in the pricvacy of her own room.

Also, I would talk to your 8 year old. With out knowing it she may have told the 4 1/2 year old something that has caused her to start doing this.

I would not punish her or yell at her. She may not understand what she is doing and why it is wrong. If people give her a reaction she is going to keep doing it because people are giving her attention.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:48 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• i think that she could be getting it from cousins, or heck even adults, she might have accidentally watched someone on tv, does she has her own tv? i would block ALL channels but like sprout and oeta/pbs, be aware that after maybe 5pm noggin and nick go to the teen shows and Degrassi, etc can be very nasty for her age group. IS she in school?
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 10:17 AM on Oct. 20, 2008