How to get my 2 (1/2) year old son to drink water?

My son H A T E S water. He could be really thirsty & if i give him water he wont drink it.
Juice & milk is all he drinks. From the first time i gave my son water he spit it out. Now that he's big he still wont drink it. I know a couple of people that like a spoon of suger added to their water. I have try'd that & he STILL wont drink it.

Q- what can i do ( tricks or anything) for him to drink water.
Q- Does your kid/s drink water? & how much ? & how old?

Thanks everyone !

yamil519

Asked by yamil519 at 12:22 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son loves lemon water. Whenever he sees me with a glass of ice water and lemon slices, he comes and drinks the whole thing. You can give him a small glass of ice water with lemon and/or lime wedges, orange slices, cherries, whatever he likes in there.
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 12:31 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• All my kids drink tons of water. They are almost 2, 3, and 4 years old. Water is the only choice, with juice being a rare treat. Stop giving him milk and juice. Offer ONLY water. He will get thirsty enough eventually. Maybe give a glass of milk at meals only - the rest of the time, water, water, and more water. Just leave his sippy cup laying around, full of water. Once he starts drinking it keep it up (no juice) until he starts requesting water to drink. Then maybe allow juice once in a while.

Do you drink water? Let him see you have water in your bottle, cup, etc. all the time. My kids always want to drink out of my cup.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 12:28 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Just keep offering. He is conditioned to know that you will give him something different if he doesn't drink it. Let him know that he gets water only and that anything else is special treats. He will drink it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:28 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Water is usually the only choice in our house, but we sometimes add sugar/ calorie free flavors.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:24 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• you could try adding a bit of juice to it..but if you just stopped giving the sweet stuff altogether, he'd drink when he finally realized he's not getting anything else.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:27 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Add water to the juice.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:28 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I had this issue. Neither of my kids would drink water and it made me nuts. When they were about 3.5 and 1.5 I made a new rule that if we were going out and brining sippy cups, the only thing they could have in it is water. They didn't like it at first, but after running around at a park, or eating dry pretzels (lol) in the car for a bit, they would drink it. My youngest caught on quick and it wasn't long before even at home his first choice of drink was water. Now even my oldest has come around too and almost always chooses water. It still amazes me when I ask what they want and they both say water, I love it. It didn't happen over night, but now I have a 5 and 3 year old who drink mostly water, crazy. I also got them their own cool water bottles and of course, if me and DH drink water they want it too...but I will say, that me and DH always drink water and always take a reusable water bottle with us wherever we go...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:38 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Just to add, the reason we made the rule about only taking water with us is because if its at home they KNOW there's more choices in the fridge, when we're out, its water or nothing. Beggars can't be choosey. GL!
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:39 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Thanks kksmomma1019
    He loves it.. I just gave him a cup of water & lemon & he drank it all up...
    yamil519

Comment by yamil519 (original poster) at 12:41 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• My kids prefer water, always have. My neice was horrible about juice - her mom combated that by putting 1 oz of 100% juice in her sippy and filling it with water - neice though she was getting a whole sippy of juice because it had just enough of the flavor.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 12:57 PM on Sep. 22, 2010