How do you address this?

How do you consequence sassy talk? Like when my 12 yo dd says something in a sassy snotty tone and back talks me? I hate the disrespectfullness. I've heard some mom's just say "ignor it" but I think disrespectfullness needs to be addressed, not ignored or it gets to be a bigger problem. Do you take stuff away, how do you consequense back talk????

cat4458

Asked by cat4458 at 12:31 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• IMO...if it isn't constant or downright awful, I ignore it. They too need to express feelings of anger and opinion. Also, I feel it helps them in the real world to feel confident in expressing opinion. On the other hand, if it is constant and really, rude stuff, grounding works well.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:33 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I am having the same problem with my five year old! I have started asking her how she would feel if I talked to her that way...I dont know how well this would apply to a twelve year old though, Remind her that you love her and when you love someone that you are respectful to that person. I also showed my daughter what it means in the dicitionary to be respectful, but she is five so it works better. Good luck!
    SaraB3

Answer by SaraB3 at 12:36 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Talk to your kiddo, let your dd know what is disrespectful to you. If it continues, take away something.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 12:36 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• i would take aware the things that she loves most, example, cheerleading, cell phone, computer etc. I would never just ignore it and anymom who would is nuts because the problem will only get worse. shes just probly going through that phase
    newmommyjazz

Answer by newmommyjazz at 12:39 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• It bothers me too!! I have my son repeat whatever he said in a nicer voice, if he still gives me a problem he may go to his room or loose a privilege. I definitely want him to be able to express himself BUT not by being rude to me or anyone else.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:39 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• when my son back talks me i punish him i stand him in the corner for nine minutes why nine minutes you might ask cause they say put them in the corner for a minute of there age i don't know how to say that sorry but like say if your kid is 5 put them in the corner for 5 minutes and so on and i also don't take away all of his toys and his computer also thats all i got i hope i answered your question.
    Honey50530

Answer by Honey50530 at 12:39 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Just like any other discipline you do...
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 12:39 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• We assign penalty chores (the yucky ones no one likes doing) for attitudes. If they give us an attitude about the chore, they get another one. It works pretty darn well.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:43 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I would explain to her one time --You are allowed to express your opinion but you will do so respectfully. If you choose to be disrespectful you will lose (Whatever privelage (sp?) you feel works here). Be consistent. If she gets away with it once or twice, she will try again and again and again. I think kids can be taught to express themselves without showing out.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 12:54 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• We also assign chores for being disrespectful or having a bad attitude. Seems to work pretty well I have two teens and a tween and I don't get a whole lot of that.
    joyful_mama

Answer by joyful_mama at 1:01 PM on Sep. 22, 2010