How long should I ground my daughter from activities with friends and phone? adult content

Daughter was supposed to go to a movie last Fri. night, the 17th with girlfriends. Her curfew is 11:oo. Was supposed to call from movies to let us (mom & dad) know which movie they picked and what time it started and I had planned on calling movie theater to see what time movie would end and dad would pick her up. Problem: she did not call right away as told and as she said she would 2 let us know which movie she picked and what time it would start. Dad dropped her off around 8 at the high school. They walked 2 movie theater. She called around 10:00. Asked if she could stay at movies til 12:00. I said no. She said ok. Said they were watching Eat, Love, Pray. When I called theater 2 c what time it would be over, they said there was no such movie. I went 2 theater 2 look 4 her rnd 11:00. Not there. Friends walked her home rnd 1:00. When I greeted her at the door she smelled like alcohol, eyes were reddish.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:45 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• How old is she????
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 12:47 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• For life! Just kidding. What did she have to say when she came home? Personally it'd most likely be at least a month before she went anywhere and it would be with strict guidelines.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:47 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Whoa. How old is she? I'd ground her for a least a month.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Lying, sneaking around, and drinking. At least a month and don't just ground her from friend activities and phone, don't forget the computer also unless it is for school work.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:51 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• You have bigger issues than just how long to ground her for. In my house she would no longer be going out with those 'ffriends' . She wouldn't be going out for at least a month. I don't get the drop off at the school and walk to the movies...too fishy for me. If the rules and expectations weren't clear before this happened they would be now. She would have lost total trust from me and would have to re-earn it. Building trust takes time. She lied about several things, she missed curfew by 2 hours, and probable alcohol... thats 3 strikes at my house.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:53 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• 2 weeks of STRICT grounding....2 more weeks of leaniant (sp?) grounding.
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 12:54 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I would let the parents of the friends she was out with know what happened and inform those parents that their kids would not be allowed to: 1. come to my house, place any calls to my house and send or communicate via Internet to my house for 1 month. I would inform my daughter that until she had earned her fathers and my trust back (no time frame set) she would not be able to go anywhere without parental supervision. The "Friends" that were with her that night would need to earn our trust back also before I would allow her out (if ever) with that group of friends again.

emerald53197

Answer by emerald53197 at 12:55 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• To defend your DD there is a movie called Eat, Love, Pray I am reading the book right now and going to see the movie Saturday. As for her getting home late I say 1 month no friends, no phone and no after school things other then team sports if she partakes in those.
    Momof2Stepof3

Answer by Momof2Stepof3 at 12:56 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• at least 1 month of anything she likes....and i agree with earning the trust back no time limit...
    if she says she sorry, my mom's favorite line was "actions speak louder than words"
    BradensMom1026

Answer by BradensMom1026 at 1:07 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• My daughter is 14. I have heard of the movie Eat, Pray, Love, but it was not showing at the theater her & her friends went to that night. Thanks for all the thoughts on what the consequences should be. Some of them I had already thought about, but I feel overwhelmed as a single mom. But, I do feel things are more clear and I can follow through better and be firm with the consequences.
    momwinaperson

Answer by momwinaperson at 1:09 PM on Sep. 22, 2010