Question about signing over a title to a car

This past summer we sold my dh car and signed the title over to the new owner. Well, this morning he knocked on the door with the title all ripped up and the top portion that we had signed it over to him on was completely missing. He said his dog got a hold of it and asked us to request a duplicate copy.
If I do this won't it look like it's still our car and we'll have to pay the property taxes on it?
I don't mind getting him a new title, I just don't want to have to pay the taxes on it since it's not our car.

kristinas8

Asked by kristinas8 at 12:53 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• umm, he should've already had the title put into his name at the dmv? yes, you'll probably still have to pay the property taxes on it, if you have to request a duplicate one.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 12:55 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• If the title has been ripped it sounds like its his responsibility now. I would contact DMV and see what they recommend knowing the original sale date. I know when I got my car, the title had to be dated within 30 days of the purchase or it was null and void. This probably varies state to state.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:55 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• if there are any fees he needs to pay them. period.
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 12:55 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• It should already be in his name if he bought it last summer????
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 12:55 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• We sold our truck and this happened. First off, I have never paid property taxes for a car. Second, if you signed it, you signed it. He bought the car last summer and still hasn't transfered the title? If worse comes to wors, ask him to pay you to get a new title then sign it again. But , he should have gone to the DMV and finished the process as soon as he bought the car.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:58 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• He needs to request the duplicate.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:04 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I'd make him go with me to the title office with him paying all the fees associated with getting a new title. I wouldn't worry so much about the taxes as the insurance that you're required to have on any vehicle. It could show up down at the BMV office that there's no insurance on it and that can lead to a fine for you. My dh had a truck that was totaled when it burned up and the BMV never got notified by our insurance company. We got a letter in the mail that said we had to pay a fine for not carrying insurance. Once we sent them proof of the total we were ok but it bugged me the entire time we were working it out.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 1:05 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Whew, I called the DMV and she said it would be perfectly fine to get a new title just to get a sold vehicle affidavit at the same time. I feel better now. Thank you for the suggestion.
    kristinas8

Comment by kristinas8 (original poster) at 1:05 PM on Sep. 22, 2010