my newborn has been soo gasy!

has anyone else had this? latly she has been super gasy! it is super afftecting her (and MINE) sleep! the other day her stomach was so tight i had to hop around with her and do litle leg movements to release some gas.

hotmommy420

Asked by hotmommy420 at 12:59 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter gets gassy sometimes. Try laying her on her belly, either on the floor or over you leg. Or you can just lay her on her back and massage her belly while talking to her.
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 1:01 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• try some Karo syrup in her bottle. That was the only thing that helped my daughter with this problem. Just about a tablespoon in a bottle should help. The light kind (white/clear) is what I used....
    lilmama121406

Answer by lilmama121406 at 1:02 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• awe, poor thing.....i know dh would lay her like a football on her tummy, on his arm and walk with her...umm, mylicon always helped us...her swing always helped, and the vibrations from the bouncer..good luck
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 1:03 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Babies should have nothing other that breastmilk or formula. The damage that anything you give does to the digestive system is worse than gas or constipation.

Your baby may be swallowing air while feeding or at other times. Try and watch and see if that's the problem. It could be the bottle or pacifier. Sometimes babies cry for unknown reasons and moms may think it's gas, the formula, something they are eating if they are breastfeeding but it is really the baby is just crying. It can go on for months and it is so difficult!!

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:12 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I have to use mylicon or gripe water with every feeding or my son is miserable. The gripe water works better for my son but I use both.
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 1:13 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Karo syrup is NOT safe for children under 1 year. It can, like honey, harbor small amounts of botulism.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 1:14 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Dr. William Sears has been an expert for 25 or more years on fussy babies and has a book called Fussy Baby that is excellent. He has written many other books and is nvolved with La Leche League and is a bf advocate but he also gives tips for formula fed babies. Here is a lot of great info on how to help fussy babies.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/t051200.asp

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:18 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• if ur nursing it could be something u are eating try changing it up and see! the dr brown bottles are amazing our daughter hardly ever has gas problems only now she does since she is one baby food too! good luck! poor thing!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 1:19 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Happiest Baby on the Block is another great resource. There is a DVD and book. Here are the 5 S's for calming baby

http://www.babyslumber.com/happiestbaby.html

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:21 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• My son was like that. It broke my heart to see him in that much pain :( I started putting a couple of drops of Little Remedies gas drops in every bottle and also use the Platex drop ins. Worked great! He is a happy boy now :)
    BraythansMom

Answer by BraythansMom at 2:55 PM on Sep. 22, 2010