Will catching a cold make your child fat?

Read this study from Business Week.

It says that lack of exercise and poor food choices are not be the only reasons for childhood obesity's growth:

"New research shows that youngsters who were infected by adenovirus 36, which causes the common cold and slight gastrointestinal upset, were an average of 50 pounds heavier than children who hadn't been infected by this particular strain."

Is this study a first-step to an obesity solution, junk science to make parents feel better, or something else? What's your opinion?

Cafe Meghan

Asked by Cafe Meghan at 1:00 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I must have had this virus as a kid- it's the only possible way to explain these 20 extra lbs.!!!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 1:02 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I saw that one the news and thinks it BS. I think it's the other way around. Not eating right can have an effect on your immune system, bettering the chances of getting sick.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:02 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:04 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• wow who came up with this "study" cause darn i wsnt no skinny minny as a kid i am def ot a skinny minny at 30 but i am working on improving my health
    mmtosam06

Answer by mmtosam06 at 1:09 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Perhaps children who are obese suffer from lack of nutrition which hinders their immune system. I don't think that a lot of people realize that in america poor people are obese because cheap food is high in empty carbs such as corn syrup and white flour...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 1:10 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Correlation does not prove causality. Just because they were both fat and had the cold virus does not mean that either one causes the other. I think it is far more likely that both their obesity and their cold are symptoms of generally poor nutrition.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:11 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• That is so dumb! No one can prevent getting sick, no matter how hard you try, you send your child to school protected, with reminders to wash hands and sneeze/cough into your elbow not your hands, etc...but you can't prevent another kid from sneezing or coughing on your child and then your child touching their mouth or nose.

And besides how is the cold virus going to mutate your fat cells to make them grow bigger and think to store more fat? That is just silly!
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 1:20 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• BS.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 1:27 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Studies??
    If we listened to every study we'd be crazy!!
    How about...

http://www.maps.org/media/wired9.5.03.html

Just an example that studies are botched up sometimes!
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 1:33 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• OMG! So that's why I once weighed 321 lbs! It had nothing to do with me eating too much, it was because I had a cold!

Geez, there's a new study for everything these days.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 1:39 PM on Sep. 22, 2010