What causes so much of my hair to fall out?

Why is it my hair falls out so bad, you would not believe the hair i find in the floor when i clean the bathroom.... anyone know?

momma2hunter

Asked by momma2hunter at 1:42 AM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Health

• That could be a number of things.. ranging from stress.. .birth control.. among others.. Age ( I dont know yours) could also be a factor as well
    luvsfrogs

Answer by luvsfrogs at 1:50 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I'm 23, not on birth control, umm not over stressed but some stress, it has always done this but never this bad!
    momma2hunter

Answer by momma2hunter at 1:54 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Could be thyroid problems.
    imtheonlysane1

Answer by imtheonlysane1 at 2:05 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I heard that alot of hair is replaced everyday,that's why it falls out.I especially notice this,cleaning the drain in the shower and in the bathroom.There has to be hair all over the carpet in other rooms but it doesn't show up,because it's not a tiled floor.
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 2:30 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Was there a major family event within the last 12 months or were you really sick sometime within the last 12 months? If yes, then it is normal. My husband got really sick and then like 6 months later his hair fell out and they said it was a reaction to the sickness he had months ago. There is a name for it but I forget what it is.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:16 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• thyroid could definitely be involved--maybe get it checked and have the full panel run, not just the tsh.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 9:43 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I've heard it is completely normal and it happens to me to. As long as your hair is not visibly thinning I wouldn't worry about it. Every time I shower I have to throw a clump away from the drain and after I dry my hair throw another bunch away from the floor (it's obviously better to air dry). I guess you could ask your doc if you are concerned though, but I've read you lose around 100 hairs a day.
    eband

Answer by eband at 9:43 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• My hair has been doing the same thing not coming out in clumps but coming out little at a time I talked to my doctor and she checked my thyroid it was ok I went online and found something called Adrenal something I have to go back on and find it,anyway I stay tired alot and one of the symtoms of this is hair loss do you get tired at certain times of the day? it stated if you are overly stressed you can have this.I am going to ask my doctor you can go online and type in Tiredness it should comeup.
    geenabelle

Answer by geenabelle at 12:28 PM on Oct. 20, 2008