What color should I dye my hair?

I have dirty blond hair which is boring. I'm thinking platinum blond or auburn.

haircolor

Asked by haircolor at 1:22 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• But then you have to keep it up or you'll get roots. I just stick to my natural color. I don't have time for touch ups.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:23 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• If you are doing it yourself things can not turn out the way you want. Nutrisse hair color washes out. It doesn't do a great job at covering gray if you have gray mixed in. I've read that the best way to go for not messing up is red. I have color like you describe and I've done the Nutrisse lightest blond they have and also the red. I was happy with both and since they washed out gradually you never saw a bad line where hair grows out. It's easy and doesn't smell bad. It didn't hurt my hair. They also have auburn. I would say go with the lightest blond or red if you want a big change.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:30 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• As a professional I would not suggest red on dirty blond hair unless you are going to keep up on it! Professional stylists call it the worst color to stay in and the worst to get out when you don't want it in there! Meaning on light hair it usually washes out no matter what brand(I see this even with salon color) and fades to a pinkish shade, when you want it out the pinkish shade doesn't go away and looks like Koolaid. Go get some hightlites, they will just blend out if you don't get them too heavy. If you have dirty blond hair, you could go platinum, the regrowth wouldn't look bad. That's actually in right now.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:38 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• If you do not have dark skin don't do auburn. I have had every single color out there. I would do blonde. It hides the grey for me and the easiest to match when you find a colorist that knows what she is doing.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 2:02 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• the older you get, the lighter you should go - it softens your face
    kaysimon132461

Answer by kaysimon132461 at 2:20 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I went darker this past spring and everyone loved it. It really made my eyes pop. Then I decided to go back to light streaks and they really look nice on the darker base. Try something new. It's just hair! :)
    mellonhead

Answer by mellonhead at 4:19 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• You could go light auburn, that would look good if you're fair, or medium to dark depending on your skin tone. I think it would look better than platinum blonde. Sorry to all of the blondes out there, but Platinum blonde is more of an old lady shade to me. Every old lady I've ever known, with the exception of my current mother-in-law who keeps her natural dark brown has been platinum blonde. It just reminds me of old ladies.
    KimPippin

Answer by KimPippin at 9:08 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Pick your color based on skin tone
    soccerfanatic14

Answer by soccerfanatic14 at 11:32 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• if you have warm skin tone go with a warm base color for your hair (colors with a golden or reddish tone to them)

if you have cooler skin tone go with a cooler base color for your hair (a neutral shade level, or something without warmth).

then look at your eyes.. for blue or gray eyes you can go with cool high or low lights ( or if you have cool skin, an all over cool tone base is fine)

for brown eyes go with a warmer low or high light (or for warm skin tone, and all over warm tone base is fine).

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:49 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• green eyes can go either way.
    xxhazeldovexx