want to get custody of my 16 year old cousin...

My 16 year old cousin is having a VERY hard time at home and at school. He's the fat kid at school and gets beat up on a daily basis. (He had 2 faint black eyes the last time I saw him). When he comes home, life is no better. His parents are very mentally and verbally abusive to him as well. He told my mom that he often thinks about suicide. I feel like someone needs to intervene. I don't think its a situation for Child Protective Services. My question is, because he's 16, can he choose not to live with his parents anymore?? Should I go to court?? I'm sure this is a law question, so I'm in California if that helps.

CarlyCo

Asked by CarlyCo at 1:23 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think that the first step is to simply ask him and his parents. If they are truly abusing him, they might be fine with letting him go. His opinion on the matter might help their decision. If might be hard to fight for custody over something like that but talking to a laywer never hurts.
    Anna-Chubaby

Answer by Anna-Chubaby at 1:25 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• He's still a minor and unless someone else gets custody or he gets emancipated, he can't just decide to move out of his parent's house without their ok. Find a family lawyer who offers free consultations and meet with the lawyer and your cousin to see how to proceed.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:26 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• It really all depends on the state's laws. I don't know much about California but in Alabama if you take in any child under 18, then the parents can have you arrested for kidnapping unless they gave you permission. If they haven't gave the permission, the best thing to do would be to go through court. He is old enough to be placed on the stand and then he can voice his opinion about where he would rather live and why. Judges usually let the children choose over the age of 12.
    motherof4and2

Answer by motherof4and2 at 1:27 PM on Sep. 22, 2010