What do you do when your child says she isn't learning anything at Sunday School?

We have a recent convert and man that can't read teaching our 7th & 8th grade Sunday School Class. My oldest says she doesn't feel like she is learning anything. What do we do?

I_Am_The_Mom

Asked by I_Am_The_Mom at 1:26 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• You are in a tough spot I might say. We were recently in this same situation about one year ago with our youth minister. He couldn't get organized ( ADHD) and was busy working alot. I finally spoke to the Pastor directly and he did a quick assesment. We have since paid for this man to go to seminary and paid off his bills so he could work less and do more at church. He is also doing better on meds for adult ADHD. I would recommend going to the Pastor directly and don't waste time. Offer help to this willing man and be careful to not condemn or make him feel bad. Help Help Help this man, and your children. Your kids in church will forever remember how this is handled and seeing him improve himself will be a great motivator. Church's don't grow without children, GL momma!!
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:30 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Doesn't mean she isn't learning. My oldest says he doesn't learn at regular school, but I know he is. Just because someone is illiterate, does not make them less knowledgeable. In fact it blows me away how they learn to function without it ! It must take a lot of mind power.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:29 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• well first go to the class with her once and see if you can understand where she is coming from! Don't tell your sunday school teacher your coming. just go!
    Mrs.Ro

Answer by Mrs.Ro at 1:30 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Offer to be an assistant to see what is going on. What exactly are you looking for her to learn. Biblical facts? Caring? Comassion? Sharing?
    Love of fellow man? Right from Wrong? Perhaps it could be this teacher has a different method of teaching a lesson of Godliness.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 1:50 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Keep in mind that your child is only in Sunday school 1 - 1 1/2 hours a week, and most of his or her God centered training should be introduced/reinforced (what was learned on Sunday) from the home. Deut. 6:5-7 Try http://d6family.com/d6family for ideas. Click on Splink.
    shughes903

Answer by shughes903 at 3:28 PM on Sep. 22, 2010