How many mg. of blood pressure medicine do you take?Need to know your weight and height...6 ft and overweight,please apply.

I don't think my doctor knows what she is doing.I am Tall and overweight and she gave me a wimpy 20 mg. high blood pressure medicine?I'm like 266 pnds./20 mg. isn't that much?She up'd my meds to another pill,I can't understand how much it is,it's a sample.It says 5mg.*/320mg.can anybody understand that?She messed up with me so now I don't trust her.I would like to know how to take care of me too.

countingsparows

Asked by countingsparows at 2:23 AM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Health

• Mg mean absolutely nothing at all---different meds require different mg strength to work.
    People seem to think that because they are bigger, they need MORE of something.
    You describe your new pill as being 5/320---indicating that you are on a combo pill, it has two different things in it. Google the medication online, learn what the normal starting dose is! Also, understand that things can go very wrong very quickly with certain blood pressure medications, which is why physicians start low and work up to the desired dose based on patient response. They really aren't trying to kill you straight off!
    Take some matters into your own hands, lay off the salt, soda, foods high in sodium, and get some exercise. Maybe you wont require it at all if you change things a little!
    romanceparty4u

Answer by romanceparty4u at 3:37 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• hubby takes 30 mg, he's 6'4" 280 lbs

if you doubt your doctor, get a second opinion from a doctor. Please don't alter your dosage just based on what others tell you they take.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:25 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• No,I won't touch my dose,I'm just wondering what others take and what works.I wonder how long it takes to get the blood pressure down,maybe weeks months or years?Anyone know?
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 2:36 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• the medicine only slightly lowers hubbies.

here are some other ways to help lower your blood pressure.
    http://www.bchealthguide.org/healthfiles/hfile68b.stm

he also takes zanex for stress which helps lower his blood pressure (more than the blood pressure medicine actually)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:41 AM on Oct. 20, 2008