Moms who have kids with ADHD. Is it true that coffee will come them down?

My dd is 4 and i was wondering if coffee works? Decaff or none decaff? i dont have decaff right now. If it does work how come and how? Just wondering, thank you in advance :-)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I have heard this too. It's definitely the caffeine, so no decaf. My son (15) has had coffee, but I've never noticed a difference in his behavior. The most he has ever had is 1/4 cup. So it probably wasn't enough. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:38 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• My mom always said it worked with my brother. She said it was because the Caffeine effected people with ADHD the opposite that it did most people. So, rather than perk them up, it calmed them down.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 1:40 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Decaf wouldn't work because it is the caffiene in coffee that would produce an effect. Theoretically, this would work the same way that amphetamine based ADD/ADHD drugs work. It doesn't calm them down so much as it eliminates the ups and downs of their moods and energy levels by keeping them on the up level. My best friend swears by it for her ADHD 10 year old. I would be concerned about giving it to a child so young for the same reasons I would be concerned about the amphetamine based ADHD drugs, they can impact appetite and stunt growth.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:41 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Don't give him coffee... that is the way they use to test for adhd wayyyy back when. My screwy aunt tired to get me to do that with my son... needless to say i didn't do it.
    http://www.myomancy.com/2006/07/caffeine_and_ad
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 1:42 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• My son has both forms of ADHD. I have never heard this, and find it interesting to hear about it. I HAVE heard that his medication would have most people bouncing of the walls, where it helps calm him down so that he can concentrate. Without the medication he cannot even sit still in class and has even been known to stand on desks and jump off. I am interested in hearing the answer to this question so I am bumping.
    motherof4and2

Answer by motherof4and2 at 1:42 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• ADHD medications stimulate the part of the brain that controls our executive function, which is why it helps to calm kids down & let them focus, because the medication "turns on" the part of the brain that is not functioning properly. When people drink caffeine, it basically has the same effect, stimulating the executive functions, which is why so many people feel more focused & alert when they drink coffee. The downside to coffee is that it can raise your blood pressure, give you headaches, make you jittery, stains your teeth and it gives you bad breath. Then there is that rebound effect, too, when you stop drinking it (which can also happen with the ADHD meds), but I would have to say the biggest drawback to using coffee is that you cannot control the does of caffeine you're getting b/c every pot will vary.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:02 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• My Pedi'person just told us to try 2 oz of black coffee as a test to see if the child would response well on a stimulant med verses a non stimulant kind.
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 2:04 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I just answered this question which was posted in one of the ADHD groups ...

I tried the coffee/caffeine thing for my teen a few years ago and it absolutely did not work for him. He said it made him jittery, not calm.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 2:24 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• My kids don't have ADD or ADHD (I think the oldest needs to be tested but in my area it's a huge p.i.t.a.) but I decided to try it - I drink half-caff myself, and I started giving them about half a cup in the morning when I have mine. I didn't notice a difference til I skipped a day - they were wild! So, just from personal experience & 2 weeks off & on, yes, it has some sort of odd nice effect.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 2:31 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Try a half cup of regular and see what you think.
    Radarma

Answer by Radarma at 12:01 AM on Sep. 24, 2010