This may be a stupid question but....

I know that the muslim culture allows a man to have more than one wife, but I was reading a book called Haveli and it made me think... what are the wives to EACHOTHER? Are they.. wives to eachother? Or do they just not have a title? Please no bashing.

MarlyeGirl

Asked by MarlyeGirl at 2:30 AM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• According to traditional Islamic law, a man may take up to four wives, and each of those wives must have her own property, assets, and dowry. Usually the wives have little to no contact with each other and lead separate, individual lives in their own houses, and sometimes in different cities, though they all share the same husband.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:00 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• to my understanding, they act as sisters to each other. Granted, I could be wrong as I am not muslim.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 2:31 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• That would make sense Flutterfae. BTW Do you play EQ? Lol (Q. for Flutterfae)
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 2:35 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• like poligamist groups they refer to there wives as first, second and so on. like these groups, yes they are also sister wives they help raise the children. they also consider them married to each other. but unlike the poligamist groups the wives have no say in whom their husband marries.
    jasken

Answer by jasken at 2:53 AM on Oct. 20, 2008