Does $970 sound expensive for renting catering equipment from a catering company for our wedding reception??

I just got the first quote back today and the company charges $970 for dishes, linen, silverware, serving trays, etc. I was completely surprised by this does it sound crazy or is this about average? what did you do for your wedding? We are on a tight budget and will be serving horedorves (sp?) at 2pm to keep the costs down. I noticed the quote included small things that added up to extra hundreds of dollars that I didn't ask for so I am worried about being taken advantage of because I don't know. TIA!

katie23

Asked by katie23 at 2:14 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Food & Drink

• It sure does sound $$~

Why not go to your local Thrift stores, you might be surprised but what you find!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 4:17 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• It does to me, I'm thrifty like that. But then I've never had catering done before, so I don't know. Check around with other companies and see what their rates are.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 2:17 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Ive never done it, but it sounds reasonable to me..
    Luisa621

Answer by Luisa621 at 2:20 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• If you're only doing hors d'oevres (jeepers, that's close but it doesn't look right) you shouldn't need linens, silverware, dishes...go to a warehouse store, or party store, something like that, and you can get pretty plastic plates (Sam's has some nice clear ones, they were used in a pretty houty-toity wedding I helped at a while back for the full dinner). Make finger foods and that eliminates the need for silverware. But yeah, either way, that does sound high. If you need serving stuff it's cheaper than that to buy at Sam's.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 11:09 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Ok thanks for the ideas! :)
    katie23

Comment by katie23 (original poster) at 3:15 PM on Sep. 23, 2010