I have a friend that shops more for herself than her kids.

It really bothers me that the kids are always wearing the same old thing and hand me downs, when she always has a new outfit. Is it my place to say something to her?

jshimmy

Asked by jshimmy at 2:23 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Shopping

• Are you kidding? No it is not your place. What could you possible say to her?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:31 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• IDK. I don't know if it's necessarily your 'place'. But should that stop you? Meh~~ I guess that depends on how good of a friend, and how much it upsets you.
    Does this really seem like a totally selfish kind of thing? Or do her kids maybe tend to ruin their clothes quickly?
    Maybe, if you just can't help yourself, bring it up, lightly. In a semi-jokingly way. It would irritate me, too. In my home, my daughter has more clothes then anyone else. Bus she is just so easy to shop for, and she gets hand me downs from a friend down the street, which she actually LOVES. I have to stop myself from buying her more stuff though, cause the boys need more then she does!
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 2:34 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• im gonna say not really...although i do not know the situation well...if she's doing it for work, fine. if she's doing it just out of fun, no good. adults dont get hand me downs unless we go to used stores, are they from used stores or totally new? if they are totally new and she is putting you in the middle of asking you what you think of her new clothes...ask her if she bought her kids anything and you could keep doing it till she gets the hint.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 2:37 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I dont think its your place to say anything. If she cares about looking better than her kids, that's her own problem.
    Luisa621

Answer by Luisa621 at 2:42 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I dont think its your place to say anything and What could you possible say to her?

Good Luck !
    CarolineDezon

Answer by CarolineDezon at 3:26 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• No, it isn't your place. Maybe she's tired of buying nice things for them just to get ruined by spills, rough play, etc.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:45 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Maybe she feels that spending a lot of money on her kids when they are just going to grow out of it or use them for play clothes is not money well spent.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 9:49 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• What lil angel said. It is not your place to say something.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:23 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Wow, im the opposite type of mom than your friend, my kids are always getting new things and I have trouble spending money on myself, -my kids come first. SO that would be annoying to me as well!!!
    I would say something like, "theres a sale at the childrens place this weekend, Im going to get dd some new things, do you want to come with me?" -or something similar,like, "when are you shopping for winter clothes for your kids? let me know and I'll come with you as I have to get some things too "
    Good luck!
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 2:57 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• depends on how close you two are.....if your really close, sure bite the bullet and make a comment (but watch your words) but if your not really close, then I wouldn't
    HuntersMom25

Answer by HuntersMom25 at 8:03 AM on Oct. 1, 2010