For moms who dont Vaccinate.. Did you see the new "The doctors show" or is watching it about the woman who lost her son over pertusis/whooping caugh

Ok so i dont vaccinate either and i wanted to ask questions to the moms who do not vaccinate either about his woman who lost her son because she had it during her pregnancy and didnt know. then passed it on to her son who then passed away from it. What do you think?
Link: http://www.thedoctorstv.com/main/show_page/D3005

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Yeh... and people die from the common flu every year still too.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 7:07 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I think that there is risk in both vaccinating and not vaccinating and every family needs to make an educated decision that works for their family.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 2:30 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• What's foolish is the believing that it is possible to keep your child from getting sick. There are parents who think that vaccines will actually prevent disease (this is foolish) and there are *some* non-vaxing parents who think that if they don't vaccinate their children's immune system will be fully prepared to take on disease (this is foolish). I am a non-vaxing parent who fully expects her children to come in contact with disease and so we prepare for it through natural means rather than pharmaceutical (and no we don't rely on herd immunity). In neither case are children fully protected from disease or the ramifications of it. It is a loss when a child dies from a disease whether they were vaccinated or not. NEITHER option is full proof.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 3:04 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Well it sounds like it would have not helped her child, as her child must have gotten it when he was born then if she had it while pregnant right? So the vaccine would have done nothing. Not to mention there had been an outbreak in my area a few years ago and everyone that had it was up to date on the pertussis vaccine. So whose to say that it even works. sad story though.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 5:44 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I think, there is risks on both sides. It's horrid that this parent had to go through that or that ANY parent has to loose a child. But, even parents who do vaccinate don't vaccinate against whooping cough early enough to have prevented this case (from what I understood) because it was passed to the baby during birth. Both sides of the vaccine choice has deaths on it. Vaccines kill thousands of kids a year and the illnesses which they are meant to prevent have the potential to kill without being treated. The difference is that the illnesses CAN be properly treated and cured in nearly every case, while the injuries and reactions associated with vaccines are much longer lasting and can not be "cured" for the large part... Everyone has a choice to make on the matter and even for those who make the choice which is right for them, if their child is injured or dies, it's a choice they wish they hadn't made...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:03 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Measles is making a comeback as well as many more once eradicated diseases. BUT! Now we have built up an immunity to the drugs (numerous antibiotics) that fight these deadly diseases. So it is now a Lose, Lose situation. We rely on the Medical Community to "fix" our children if they by chance get these diseases but ignore their strong recommendations to Prevent them in the first case. Many innocent children will die unnecessarily. We think that it can't happen to us because we may live in isolated areas of the USA but look at the new people in your grocery stores or dept. stores that you haven't seen before. The population of foreigners coming here is increasing tremendously. People carry diseases from near & far.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:51 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Someone somewhere is going to die, vaccinations or not. No matter how hard we try, we cannot protect 100% of the people 100% of the time.

And I refuse to watch that show.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 4:07 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Like what aeneva said. Everyone needs to educate themselves on the vaccines and make an educated decision that will best fit their family. I selectively vaccinate. Not all are necessary.
    SparklingHope

Answer by SparklingHope at 1:38 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I'm with spaklinghope, I selectively vaccinate (and delay too, no sense shooting them up at the same time IMO).
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 4:40 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I know in a lot of places you can get into a lot of trouble for not vacinating your kids. I think CPS can even get involved.
    bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 12:42 AM on Sep. 24, 2010