How long before a move should you look for another place to live?

I'm moving mid December...when should I start looking for a place to rent (house, duplex or apartment) in the city I'll be moving to (which is two hours away)? I have two kids that will be moving with me. It seems to early now because noone is going to "hold" a place for us for three months. When?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:25 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Home & Garden

• now but act on it by november you will want to have it secured by december 1st
    saadamarie

Answer by saadamarie at 2:27 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• You can find places though that are going to have openings in December and get one of those on hold for you actually. Its never too early. We are already looking into places to live for next year, we are thinking of buying a house though.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 2:27 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• It's never too early you definitely don't want to wait too late. 

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 2:27 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• You should be researching areas now.
    If you are looking at places now you will know what to expect in cost.
    Two months is good. Tenants usually have to give one to two months notice. So the owners will know what is coming up.
    Craigslist is a good place to start.
    Also rental agents will know what is available. If you use an agent, look for one that handles a large inventory. If they do not have a large inventory they will try and put you in whatever they have.
    Good luck.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 2:38 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• You have to remember that some places have a waiting period while they ready the apartment/house. So you should be looking now, so that if there is a waiting period you aren't stuck without a place to live. Also, some places do hold an apartment/home for a fee.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:21 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I think you should be looking now so that you are not rushed.
    Luisa621

Answer by Luisa621 at 4:31 PM on Sep. 22, 2010