How can i help my child sleep better

MIMI1124

Asked by MIMI1124 at 2:30 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Kids' Health

• What is wrong? Trouble falling asleep, trouble staying asleep? Waking up early?
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 3:27 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• trouble staying asleep
    MIMI1124

Comment by MIMI1124 (original poster) at 11:47 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• We all wake up at night so the waking up is no problem, your child needs to learn to put himself/herself back to sleep on their own. When my son was younger I was a single parent so I let him get in bed with me when he woke up but told him not to wake me up, after a few months of this happening every night I told him to bring his blanket and pillow and he could sleep on the floor. After a month or two of that he stayed in his room. If he/she wakes up with nightmares have them talk about it in the morning, if it is night terrors he/she may need more sleep.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 10:58 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Does your child say "why" they are waking up?

And like the pp said here, self soothing is a very important developmental milestone; your child needs to learn how to settle themselves back to sleep, providing their is no illness/emergency to be addressed.
    Radarma

Answer by Radarma at 11:50 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I put a fan in their room just facing indirectly toward the wall.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:48 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Teach your child ways to fall back asleep.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:31 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• "Helping Your Child Sleep Through the Night", Cuthbertson & Shiville~ awesome book.... Tuck your little one in with a big stuffed buddy. The same one, all the time. Let them fuss. Don't go in. Get that book~ it's great!
    mp3mom

Answer by mp3mom at 1:31 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• How old is your child? What you need to do depends on the age. If you have more questions, feel free to drop by my group, Helping Your Child Sleep! http://www.cafemom.com/group/112077
    SleepHelper

Answer by SleepHelper at 9:44 AM on Sep. 29, 2010