Question for SAHMs who left a career after having children...

Do you plan on going back when the kids get in school? Sooner than that? Or do you have no plans to go back to your career?

Right now I'm not sure. I would love to stay home till my twins get in school. But I would also like to work from home and bring some income in to help. Also I'm thinking about going to school again to become a RN, right now I'm a medical assistant.

twinmama2five

Asked by twinmama2five at 2:35 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• I was a nurse at a Psychiatric hospital and I left there shortly after the birth of our third daughter. But before I left I knew I needed to find a way to also help me husband our with the finances. So I did that, found a way to earn money at home and now I've been home for over 3 years. My youngest will be going to school next year and I still plan on staying home. I love being able to be accessible to my family 24/7. I do miss my job as a nurse and I miss my co-workers and I paid for the schooling, but I wouldn't trade being home with and for my family for anything.
    reach4thestars

Answer by reach4thestars at 6:49 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I also work from home with a great team of moms. Our leader, who is very knowledgeable on the internet put together this free training to help people with the decision on a home business. I looked at it this morning. It is really good. www.ceomomsonline.com Then if you want to know more get with me at www.athomewithfamily.com
    mrk34

Answer by mrk34 at 3:34 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• i'm a medical assistant too but am looking for a job, i want to wait until my son is 2 but if we're going to move out of this small house i need a job too my dd is 4 so she'd be fine in preschool but idk about my ds
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:38 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I had to work when my kids were little and regretted it. I wanted to be home and raise my own kids. A few years ago my neighbor told me she was working at home and showed me what she did. I absolutely love it and was able to quit my full time job and now I am home when my granddaughter gets out of school and I get to pick her up every day. Don't wait another day, you need to make a decision to be a stay at home mom, they will need you even more when they start school! Ask me for any help you may need.
    nanaevelyn

Answer by nanaevelyn at 3:09 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I was working when my son was an born and ended up becoming a sahm mom when he was 10 months. I was making great money, but didn't want to put him in daycare. I have a home business w/ Gold Canyon Candles and love every bit of it! I am glad that I found this to help support our family, and have my play money. lol
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 3:37 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I'm thinking about grad school, because I want to change careers.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:40 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I started my own company so I can stay at home and have a career.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:41 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I am a licensed Dental Hygienist and could make at least $50K a year with my degree and I don't work to stay at home with my kiddos.  I wouldn't trade it for all the money in the world.  I thought early on about going back to work when they get in school...but there's issues with that.  I don't know of a hygienist who can work and still take their kids to school/pick them up as that would make for a weird schedule.  

So I work at home now with my home business and am building it up to be making WAY more than what I would make as a hygienist by the time they are in school.  I would honestly say to take the money you would spend to go to RN school and put that towards a business where you can make MUCH more than you would as an RN...but then I have the entrepreneur mindset lol.  If you do to then we need to talk lol!  

RozPearcy

Answer by RozPearcy at 10:43 PM on Sep. 22, 2010