Pregnant and have a freshly spayed kitty to take care of...

She's an outside cat, but a REALLY SUPER domesticated one. I know I'm not supposed to really touch them too much, especially change any litter... but I just brought her back from the vet today from being fixed and I can't really let her go back outside with a cone on her head and fresh stitches... but I can't let her poop in my house either. I tried to show her the litter box but she just doesn't know what to do with it. She won't be using it after she's better because DH is very allergic, hence, the outside cat. If she poops in her crate (and thus, all over herself), I don't want to wait ALL DAY for DH to get home, he leaves for work before we wake up and doesn't get home until we're almost ready for bed. I'm just afraid this will be a big mess... :P How serious is it for a preggo to be near cat poop? (toxoplasmosis)... what are the odds I'd get it?

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 2:40 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Chances are, she will figure out the litterbox when she needs to go. Keep her in a small room with it, like a bathroom. That will also help keep her quiet so she can heal. THANK YOU so very much for spaying your kitty!!!! And if you must clean up poops, use gloves and wash thoroughly afterwards. Not every cat carries this disease.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 2:43 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Chances are you already have immunity to it, but your baby does not. Just MAKE sure you wash your hand VERY well afterward. I always would wear something on my face when I HAD to change it as well.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 2:42 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I changed the litter when I was pregnant. 2 pregnancies.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:42 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• How long have you had the cat? If you've lived with a cat (or cats) for a while, chances are that you've already been exposed to toxoplasmosis and the danger has passed. It's really only an issue if you're bringing a cat into your home for the first time. I wouldn't worry too much, just take precautions like wearing rubber gloves when changing the litter.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 2:42 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I have 5 cats... am pregnant and the doctors say don't change the litter... petting them, loving on them you can get that.. this is my second pregnancy that i have been around cats... How you get it, is by touching their pooh.. and breathing in the dust that rises when cleaning the litter box. If you have to change the litter box the doc and midwife said to use gloves and don't breath in the fumes (dust) while cleaning it.
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 2:48 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• You don't have to worry about touching the cat, just the feces. My doc during my first pregnancy told me to wear plastic gloves. My second did a simple blood test and found out I already had immunity and there was no risk to the baby. So just wear gloves if you have to clean up feces, and talk to your provider about the toxoplasmosis test to see if you even have to worry at all.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:53 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Thanks, all. yes this is my first time having kitty inside the house. DH is terribly allergic. I have a litterbox available, but I don't want to waste time training her if she's gonna be an outside kitty again in a couple of days anyway. :\ I can't really have her walking around the house b/c of DH's allergies, and locking her in a room like the bathroom or her crate might create nasty mess that I also can't have sitting around all day. I think I'll go with getrealmama's response and hope for the best. Thanks guys!! :)
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 3:44 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Tell him to get up early. Call your OBGYN and see what he/she says. Lock the cat in a seperate room. I am sorry, but I cannot believe this is that much of a problem.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 2:42 PM on Sep. 22, 2010