i need new ideas for veggie sides...

just really sick of all the stand-bys right now...anything other than gr beans, peas, corn, salad, or carrots......??

mamagee1218

Asked by mamagee1218 at 2:41 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Simple Cinnamon Sweet potatoes:

Open a large can of sweet potatoes, drain and mash. Put in casserole dish and drizzle with about 1/4 c. each melted butter or margarine and honey. Sprinkle with cinnamon and bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 6:03 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Steamed Broccoli is what we had last night.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 2:43 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• zucchini!! you cut it up and sauté it in a little butter, margarine, or oil, and salt and pepper...of course zucchini is technically a fruit but it works and its so yummy...you can do the same with eggplant too
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 2:45 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Pea Salad/Broccoli & Cauliflower Salad

* 1 16 oz. pkg frozen peas, thawed OR 3 cups fresh broccoli & cauliflower flowerets
    * 1 cup Miracle Whip or mayonnaise
    * 1 small white or red onion, diced
    * 1 cup finely shredded Cheddar cheese
    * 1/4 lb. bacon, cooked and crumbled
    * Salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients except veggies in a bowl. Stir in veggies. Store in refrigerator
    michiganmom116

• Lately I can't get enough roasted broccoli! Lightly mist florets with oil or cooking spray on a baking sheet. Stick it underneath the broiler for a mere 2-3 minutes...just until fragrant. Remove from oven and splash a little low sodium soy sauce (not too much) over it. Toss it around to coat and stick it back under the broiler for just a minute or so. Stays crunchy but not too crunchy. Crazy delicious!
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 9:09 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Roasted red potatoes or russett oven fries are a good alternative to french fries. I cut the wedges thick, leave the skins on and crank the oven up to 425. Spray the baking sheet with cooking spray. Pile the wedges evenly in the center of the pan, skin down so all the good stuff will coat. Season with whatever you like. I use fresh ground pepper, kosher salt and drizzle with olive oil. Lightly sprinkle with grated parmesan. Toss well to coat and evenly place potatoes with skins up (keeps skins from sticking to the pan and browns the potatoes instead of the skins). Roast until tender and nicely browned. Turn during baking to evenly brown all surface of potatoes.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 9:15 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• aliishott2....I LOVE zucchini like that! i did that last night with onions and yellow squash in it too...but i didnt know it was a fruit...ya learn somethin new everyday...thanks!!
    mamagee1218

Comment by mamagee1218 (original poster) at 2:47 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I boil up brocolli and calliflour and at the end add cheeze whiz to it. I know kids really like it.
    Airforce3mom

Answer by Airforce3mom at 3:27 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• haha neither did i til my curiosity of the difference between a fruit and vegetable took over and i learned that a lot of foods we think are veggies are actually fruit, like cucumbers, squash, peppers, beans...and you're welcome :)
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 3:49 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• my son loves fresh green beans slated it is really good
    CarlaJean99

Answer by CarlaJean99 at 3:49 PM on Sep. 22, 2010